Chapter 18

Freya, Nik, and I are in the study. Freya is trying to find a way to kill whatever monster Lucien has turned himself into and Nik is pacing in anticipation. I am sitting on the couch using my vampire and werewolf hearing to listen to the twins babble themselves to sleep. My feet are propped up on the coffee table and my head in against the back of the couch with my eyes closed. Freya is sketching away in her witch book, hoping to unlock the answer with her deep knowledge of dark magic.

"You're hovering." Freya sighs.

"I'm supervising." Nik counters.

"You're hovering." I agree with Freya, keeping my eyes closed.

"How else to speed up your endeavors?" Nik adds. "Let's see, perhaps I should bring Vincent here, force him to aid you by removing his legs."

"Vincent doesn't know how to kill Lucien either." Freya tells him. "Besides, if he leaves the St. James, who knows what the Ancestors will make him do next."

"Ancestors are thoroughly occupied, according to Davina, terrorizing our brother Kol." Elijah announces as he enters the room.

"What a surprise. Another day, another witch-inspired vendetta." Nik muses.

"Yeah, what is that about?" I inquire sitting up. "What are they hoping to gain by cursing Kol?"

"Davina's handling it, she can take care of Kol for now." Elijah says. "Let us focus our energies on Lucien. How do we demolish that rodent?"

"I'm working on it." Freya sighs.

"Speaking of rodents, has anyone told Cami that Aurora is free?" I mutter.

"We all have our roles to play." Nik tells Elijah, ignoring me. "Elijah can stay here and oversee whatever it is Freya's doing. I'm going to actually accomplish something."

"Brother, accomplishing something might--" Elijah tries to stop him.

"The time for talking to done!" Nik cuts him off, leaving the room.

"Kelsey." Elijah sighs.

"I know, I know." I sigh, standing up and following after Nik. "I got him. The twins are taking a nap." I inform them and follow Nik out into the Courtyard. "Nik." I call and he turns to me.

"Don't try to stop me." He says.

"I'm not." I shake my head. "I'm going with you. Cami should know about Aurora."

He groans. "I told her already and I had to hear 'I told you so'."

"Can't say I'm surprised." I chuckle. "And she totally earned the right to say it. But, if it makes you feel any better I won't say it, even though I thought keeping Aurora alive was a mistake."

"Kelsey, you just said it without saying it." He scoffs and I smile and kiss his cheek.

"Let's go." I laugh pulling him after me. "We should check in on her and make sure she's alright."

____________________

Nik seems to think Cami's balcony is equivalent to her front door. So, here we are, on her balcony. He slowly opens the door, but a invisible barrier stops us from entering.

"It appears we are unable to enter." Nik says to Cami who is sitting across the room looking at us.

"So is every other vampire." Cami states, standing and walking over to us. "I put the lease in my neighbor's name, compelled her to forget. I can go get her and have her invite you guys in."