Chapter 13

Morning came as I pulled up to the Compound. After I had explained everything to Jackson, he was definitely shocked. He understood why the secret is such a big deal and he swore to keep it no matter what. And I believe him.

   Hayley decided to stay back and finish all the rituals they needed to do. I, however, was concerned about Marcel. So, I follow Nik and another's voice to the ballroom.

   "Placed beside the behemoth size of yours, certainly." The woman says, her British accent thick, making Nik laugh. Something stirs in my stomach, but I ignore is as I approach them both.

   Nik turns and sees me. He sends me a genuine smile, which makes me smile back at him. Images of last night flash in my mind and I look away in an attempt to hide a blush. The woman stares at us with raised eyebrow, clearly catching the interaction. Her dark curly hair is pulled back on the sides, showing her very pretty face. She has light brown skin that is flawless. Confusion covers her face and she keeps her arms crossed.

   "What was that?" She inquires, looking between Nik and I. "What did I miss?"

   "I was going to ask the same thing." I state looking at her. "Who are you?"

   She gasps, faking offense and Nik laughs at her theatrics. "I'm gone a week and you've already forgot me."

   A grin spreads across my face in realization. "Rebekah!" I exclaim rushing forward and hugging her. She laughs and hugs me back. "I'm so glad your back."

  "Could we please return to the subject of our long lost sister?" Elijah's voice cuts through, making me pull away from Rebekah and look at the phone placed between Nik and Rebekah.

   "What's going on?" I ask.

   "There's not much to discuss." Rebekah replies looking at the phone. "She said she was Freya then darted off into the night." My eyes widen at the revelation. 

  "You believed her?" Elijah inquires.

   "I met the girl in a mystical loony bin. She could be anyone, telling me a lie." Rebekah tells him. "But she did seem familiar somehow."

   "And how is she still alive?" Nik rhetorically asks, before rolling his eyes and turning his back to us. "A question as ridiculous as its possible solutions, given this family's annoying predilection for cheating death."

   "No kidding." I scoff, my mind drifting to Finn, Esther, and Mikael.

   "Don't know." Rebekah answers him anyway. "I'm just telling you what she said.

   Nik turns back around and faces her. "Did you happen to ask if by some similar miracle, our Aunt Dahlia lives as well?"

   "I barely had a chance to--" Rebekah begin, but he cuts her off.

   "On the list of questions, it'd be nice to know if the woman who placed a curse on the first-borns of this family is still breathing air." Nik raises his voice in frustration.

   "Let me turn back time and do it to your liking." Rebekah counters.

  "Enough. Both of you." Elijah's voice cuts through. I'd almost forgot he was on the phone.

   "Elijah's right." I sigh. "Getting all work up will get us no where. Freya showed herself once. Chances are she'll do it again."

  "Precisely." Elijah agrees. "If she is who she says, we'll find out soon enough. It is imperative no one learns of the twins existence. This has been our salvation thus far."

   "Unless Hayley's husband-to-be starts flapping his gums." Nik says smirking making me roll my eyes. "I should take preventative measures and separate him from his head."