Chapter 6

Nik and Elijah compelled some people to clean the entire Compound, especially the Courtyard. They decided to throw a party to discover who else in New Orleans is following the Hollow. Yellow, purple, and green, which are Mardi Gras colors, litter the open area. A table is set up with a variety of drinks and lights are hanging above.

Hayley enters the Courtyard having just returned from Mary's and I meet her as she walks in. "How are the twins?"

"They're okay." She nods. "They're safe with Mary."

"Sorry, I disappeared yesterday. After, I realize the Hollow was manipulating me, I didn't want to come back to you guys and put you at risk." I explain.

"No, you're fine." Hayley reassures. "I'm just glad you're okay now." She looks around and fines Nik on the balcony overlooking everything. "We were heading out and now we're throwing a party, I see." Hayley states a little louder to get his attention.

"One that will be attended by New Orleans' most influential creatures." Nik informs us.

"You do realize that everyone hates you." Hayley deadpans.

"But they love Marcel, and as the invite states, he is the cohost. Tonight, we celebrate our truce." Nik smirks and I roll my eyes.

"What truce?" I scoff.

"So, you're throwing a fake party in honor of a fake truce, and your guest of honor is in a dungeon." Hayley states and Nik starts walking down the stairs.

"Marcel's attendance would only complicate matters." Nik expresses. "Besides, I'll have my hands full weeding out those in league with the Hollow."

"Have fun with that." Hayley muses.

"Hope and Bexley are with Mary." I let him know as he walks by us and to the refreshment table.

"And I'm just looking for Freya." Hayley adds.

"What do you need of her?" He asks.

"Just a favor." Hayley says.

_____________________

Night falls and the party is in full swing. A band fills the air with music and people mingle and laugh throughout the crowd. Elijah greets everyone as they walk in. Once everyone arrives, Elijah gathers them in the ballroom. He stands on the second floor where the two stair cases meet, with Nik a few feet behind him. I stand off the the side, against the wall, looking up at him.

"My dear friends." Elijah addresses. "Tonight, we celebrate an alliance between our family and Marcel Gerard. Unfortunately, as is his custom, Marcel is unfashionably late." I roll my eyes at the blatant lie and the crowd begins talking amongst themselves. "So until such time as he graces us with his presence, let us all raise a glass and salute the glorious city of New Orleans."

"But, before we do, my brother and I wish to acknowledge a painful truth." Nik adds stepping up next to Elijah. "Our relationship with this city, and indeed with most of you, has been long and complicated. We hope you will be put at ease knowing we intend but a brief and peaceful stay. Let this evening be a respite from past grievances... and an opportunity to forge new friendships." He raises his glass over the crowd. "Cheers." And the crowd of people repeat him, before drinking their Champaign.

________________________

After a while of searching the crowd, I see Nik escaping into the study. I follow him and when I enter he is opening his safe and putting Papa Tunde's Blade in it.

"Where did you find that?" I question him, making him glance at me.

"Hidden at Marcel's place."