Chapter 3

I wake up to an empty bed. I turn and stare up at the ceiling. Today, despite the relief of the much needed reunion, is going to be hard. Just as is has been every year for the last five years. There's no avoiding it, there never is. Sighing, I stretch and get up, quickly changing clothes. After looking in on the girls, who are still asleep, I head downstairs and make them eggs and bacon with some orange juice. Everyone to already wake and outside on the porch, but I want to warn the girls before just throwing new people in their faces. So, I put their breakfast on a tray and bring it to their room, setting in on the table in front of their beds.

   I go over to Hope first and gentle shake her awake. "Hope." I whisper and her blue eye open, before she brings her hand up to rub the sleep away. 

   "Mommy?" She says and I smile. She jumps forward and wraps her arms around my neck. "I missed you."

   "I missed you, too." I smile hugging her tight. "I have your breakfast on your table. You go eat, while I wake up your sister."

   She nods and I help her slide out of bed. I turn around and look at Bexley, chuckling a bit. She had changed positions since last night. Now, she is on her stomach with her hands tucked under her and her butt in the air. I brush her hair out of her face. 

   "Bexley." I whisper softly patting her back. She groans and pushes my hand away. "Come on, sweetie. It's time to get up and eat breakfast." She peeks open her eyes and smiles, before clamping them shut again. "If you don't get up, I'll be forced to tickle you." She still pretends to sleep, her smile giving her away. "Okay, you asked for it." I move my hands to her side, and I barely touch her. 

   "Okay, okay." She giggles. "You win." 

   "I thought so." I help her sit up and pull her in for a hug, too.

   "Are they here?" She asks, excitement on her face. 

   "They are." I nod. "But you need to eat and get dressed first."

   "But Mommy." She whines. 

   "Bexley, go on." 

   "Fine." She sighs dramatically and goes and sits next to her sister. 

   While they eat, I go to their dresser and grab them some clothes to wear. Hope finishes first and gets dressed. Bexley, having scarfed her food, following right after her. When they're done, I braid a small braid down the front of their hair, so their hair stays out of their faces and, then I look at them. 

   "Now, I know it's a lot of new people all at once and that can be overwhelming." I tell them. "But remember that they all love you both and they feel just as nervous as you do, okay?" 

   Hope nods and Bexley scoffs. "Mommy, I don't have nerves."

   "But you might and that's okay." I say. 

   "Can we go now?" She asks impatiently. 

   "Yes, we can go, but stay with me and Hope." She nods frantically.  

   We head down the stairs, Hope is clearly nervous, and Bexley is chomping at the bit. Once, she sees people on the pouch she can't hold it in anymore and she runs for the door. 

   "Bexley!" I call for her, but she's already out there. 

   "You're him." She says in amazement, frozen by the door as Hope and I step outside. Her eyes are wide as she stares at Nik. 

   "Someone was extremely excited." I tell everyone. Rebekah, Kol, and Hayley chuckle and Freya and Elijah smile at the twins. Nik stands frozen still staring at them.