Chapter 23

Flashback:

I decided to write my baby a letter. With everything going on I think it's better to be prepared in case the unthinkable happens and I don't have the pleasure of raising her. I use the window to let natural light shine in as I sit in a chair. My pen glides across the page as the words pour out of me.

"Writing a love letter to one of your many suitors?" Nik asks, startling me, from the doorway, his famous smirk on display. "So, who's the lucky recipient then... Nate or someone new?" I shake my head smiling at his teasing. "Don't tell me it's me. I thought I was out of the running ages ago." He continues.

"If there was an award for the biggest ego, you'd win it." I laugh. "Unanimously." He crosses his arms, laughing. A real, genuine laugh. No malice or deviousness heard.

"Woah." I laugh in amazement, grabbing my belly.

"How is our littlest wolf?" He inquires walking farther into the room.

"She's kicking." I smile at him. "Do you want to feel it?"

His expression turns apprehensive. Nik shifts awkwardly and looks hesitant. Then, a small smile appears on his face. "It's okay. Come on." I encourage removing my hand and sitting forward slightly. Niklaus looks at my belly and slowly kneels in front of me. He gently lays his hand on the front of my quite large, swollen stomach. His eye stay locked on where his hand are. The second I feel her move he gasps in amazement.

"Did you feel that?" I smile at him. Nik smiles widely and lets out a half laugh in disbelief.

"Right." He says standing up. "I'll leave you to your secret letter then." Nik smiles lightly before exiting the room.

Dear, Charlotte or Arden or Rowan or Lydia.

To my little girl, your dad just asked if this was a love letter. In a way it definitely is. My mother wasn't around for me to know. I don't know how she felt when she carried me. So, I decided to write you, that way you know how happy I am with the thought of you and how much your father and I are counting the days until we see your perfect face. I, also, want to promise you three things. One, a safe home. Two, someone who will tell you, you are loved every single day. Three, someone that will always fight for you. No matter the circumstances.

You will have a family. Everything else we will have to figure out together.

I love you more than anything. Mom

________________

Present

The witches had moved me onto the alter that set in the front of the church. The pain of contractions and being restrained is consuming. Hayley is still being held by her arms, even though she's not making it easy. She continuously thrashes and yells profanities.

I haven't let up either. Still praying Niklaus might hear, or anyone in the vicinity. I had two witches holding my feet down and two holding my arms. Genevieve grips tightly onto left arm.

"Let me the fuck go, you bitch!" I yell lifting my body as far up in her direction as I can while being pinned.

The church door swing open. My head snaps in its direction, a small amount of relief floods me seeing Niklaus. Blood covers his mouth and trails down his neck and onto his shirt. Pure animalistic rage consumes the entirety his face. His ember eyes shining with hatred.

"Nik." I whisper hopefully.

He charges towards me. However, one of the men that dragged me in here goes into defense mode and advances on Nik. When he gets in front of him Nik puts no effort in separating his head from his body.