Chapter 1: Mystic Falls

"Davina, I'm officially headed your way." I say frantically while passing a semi on the interstate. "It's been seven months. I'm passed worried. Call me back."

I put my phone in my cup holder and slightly turn up whatever new pop song is out right now. It's been almost five years since I've stepped foot in New Orleans. After Davina and I lost our dad, everywhere I went was an awful reminder. I wanted Davina to go with me, but she was too young and her mother would have never allowed it. So, I keep in touch with her at least every few months. Seven months is the longest we've gone without contact.  A high pitch chirping comes from my phone and 'Hayley' is written across my screen.  I turn on hands free so I don't crash.

"Hey Hales, what do you need?" I ask shortly.

"Bad time?"

"You could say that. I haven't heard from Davina so I'm headed to New Orleans."

"Oh wow." She breathes out. "Are you alright? I know it's been....."

"I'm fine. Davina's worth me being uncomfortable." I sigh. "What about you?"

"Well. See, I've managed get myself on the wrong side of Katherine Pierce." She says lowly.

"Are you serious, Marshall! I told you she's bad news. No one stays alive when they get tangled up with her." I state slamming my hands on my stirring wheel.

"You've never met her!" She defends herself.

"Her reputation proceeds itself."

"I know. You were right." She groans causing me to scoff. "Please meet me in Virginia."

"I can't. I have to find Davina. I'm sorry. I can catch up with you after and help you hide."

"I know, I know and I swear Kelsey, I swear, I'll help you find her. It's just, Katherine has sent one of her goons after me. He's close. I've called extra back up but you're the only person I trust." She begs sounding defeated.

"Damn it." I breathe out. "Where in Virginia?"

"Thank you!" Relief flooding her voice. "Mystic Falls. I'll send an address. See you soon?"

"As soon as I can." I reply hanging up.

I met Hayley three years ago while traveling the country. She had no where to be either so we explored together. Our friendship only strengthened when we discovered we share a crescent birth mark on our left shoulder. Hayley never stopped asking questions and looking for anything that may lead her to her birth parents. However, after what happened with my dad I couldn't follow leads with her. I wasn't interested with finding out the connections in our past. I just wanted to stay living in the moment. So, when she met a Professor named Atticus Shane and he had information, we parted ways, but we continue to stay in touch. She's the closest friend I have.

_____________

"What the hell am I getting myself into." I mumble, turning into a vacant, dimly lit gas station. I see Hayley standing under a flickering street light. Pulling up to her and exiting the car, I get out barely in enough time to catch Hayley as she wraps her arms around my shoulders. Pulling away we start walking so she can explain everything.

"Okay. How did you get caught up with Katherine?"

"Our interest aligned. I was helping her so I could get a new lead on my birth parents." She shrugs.

"What happened to Shane?" I cross my arms due to the wind.

"That's a long story. He turned out to be psycho."