Chapter 13

I walk out of the kitchen and into the Courtyard from cleaning the twins bottles to see the Chief of Police dangling over the balcony. Furrowing my eyebrows in confusion, my eyes trail to the hand holding him by his neck.

   "I think this city's finest could try a bit harder." Nik tells the man.

   "Okay." The man agrees, his voice quivering in fear.

   "What the hell are you doing?!" I exclaim, annoyed with his theatrics.

   "Motivating the police in their efforts to locate Aurora." Nik says nonchalantly.

   "I see we're in for another normal Mikaelson breakfast." Freya comments from behind Nik, although I can't see her from this angle.

   "Niklaus, for heaven's sake, release the poor creature." I hear Elijah tell him and I groan, knowing what's going to happen next.

   Nik removes his hand from the man's neck and he falls. So, using my speed I run over and jump, grabbing the Chief mid fall, allowing my momentum to land us gently on the ground. The Chief quickly grips his chest and turns around to look at me. Disbelief and shock cover his expression.

   "Thank you." He whispers.

   "No problem." I smile slightly, before joining the siblings upstairs.

   "That's not what I meant." Elijah disapproves.

   "He'll live." Nik shrugs.

   "Yes." I cross my arms. "But how can he find Aurora with two broken legs."

   "You caught him. No bones broken." He smirks. "Besides, he'll remember to do better." Nik walks past Freya and Elijah and into the study. I roll my eyes at him and follow.

   "Is all this torture necessary?" Freya inquires as I sit on the couch.

   "Where have you been?" Nik says.

   "I was making sure that The Strix and their witches were out trying to find your loony ex-girlfriend. Is that okay by you--" Marcel explains entering the room from the other side and following Nik to his chair.

    "Gentlemen, please." Elijah interjects cutting Marcel off.

   "All of our heads are on the chopping block because he lost the one thing that can kill an Original." Marcel accuses pointing at Nik.

   "Cami was waving the white oak around like a kite and how was he to know Aurora made a deal with one of your witches." Freya turns the blame.

   "It's not his fault." I add to Freya's defense.

   "Oh, yeah, it is." Marcel scoffs.

   "I'm quite capable of defending myself." Nik states standing and facing Freya. "Thank you, Freya. What I cannot do it cast a spell to find Aurora. In that respect, we're alike."

   "Hey!" I snap at him. "Lay off of her." Freya nods at me, before looking back at Nik.

   "Aurora is cloaked, most likely by the very witch she killed." Freya tells him. "I have been working nonstop, everyday."

   "Well, you've stopped now, haven't you." Nik quips as she looks at him in defiance. "Well, go on. On your way."

   "Do you talk to our other sister like this?" Freya inquires and Nik doesn't respond. "Didn't think so." Freya turns and storms out. I shoot daggers at Nik.

   "Freya..." Elijah tries to stop her, but she ignores him.

   "Do you have any control of what comes out of your mouth or do you just enjoy being an ass?" I sneer at Nik and he just shrugs.