Chapter 12

I immediately called Hayley when I get in the car. She didn't say much, she just sent me her location. Nik has a head start, but without knowing exactly where her and Jackson are in the Bayou, maybe I will beat him there. Especially before he decides to go all murder-y on Jackson.

When I get as close to her location as I can, I park and jump out of the car. I use my vamp speed to run through the trees, coming to a stop at Hayley's last location. However, they are gone now. So, instead of calling her I take a deep breath and close my eyes. I listen closely to all the sounds around me, trying to pin point her voice, or even Jackson's.

"I guess I just really hate secrets." I hear Hayley say between the breeze and the birds chirping.

I quickly vamp speed to where they are as Jackson responds. "Whatever yours is if you don't wanna tell me, then don't. Doesn't change a thing. And least of all how I feel about you."

"Good." I announce myself from behind Hayley. They both turn to me startled. "Because it's not hers to tell. Hayley, listen Nik...."

"Quite the romantic sentiment, Jackson." Nik cuts me off, appearing a few feet behind Jackson. "I wonder, however, if I might impose on this lovely tableau long enough to have a word with Hayley."

"It's okay." Hayley tells Jackson. "Go ahead. I'll meet you back at Mary's."

"Okay." He nods and he walks away. When he is out of ear shot Nik breaks the silence.

"Are you out of your mind? Are you seriously considering the preposterous truth-telling idiocy?"

"I'm kinda on the fence." She says making me raise my eyebrows and cross my arms.

"Allow me to make it simple for you." Nik states. "Under no circumstances will you divulge any family secrets. None that would endanger mine and Kelsey's children."

Hayley turns and looks at me. "It's not that simple. You both saw what Finn did. He's growing more powerful by the day." She explains. "Right now he controls over half of the wolves. This marriage could change that."

"But it's not your decision to make." I counter. "You should have called me."

"I tried, Marcel answered and said that you and Kol were knocked out." She exclaims. "And before that you were dead. Finn killed you, we have to stop him. Marrying Jackson brings us closer to doing that. I promise I don't take the twins safety lightly."

"The outcome of your strategy is not worth the risk it imposes on mine and Kelsey's daughters." Nik tells her.

"Well, it's not a risk if Kelsey and I trust Jackson." Hayley says. "Klaus, Kelsey, think. We could have a whole army of super wolves who could protect Hope and Bexley as one of their own."

"Bexley and Hope don't need a wolf army." Nik seethes. "I'll protect them myself. And an easier time I'll have of it without you running off sharing secrets with every motley member of your brethren."

I roll my eyes and cross my arms. "That's unrealistic. I get you have trust issues, but thinking you can take on everyone alone is crazy."

"Now you're considering this?" He scoffs in disbelief.

I shrug. "Hayley deserves the benefit of the doubt. I can at least take it into consideration and hear her side." I look and him, before changing to her. "Even though she should not be doing any secret telling without me knowing when it involves the twins."

"I wouldn't have said anything until I talked to you." She reassures me and I nod. "But, this is our chance. We can bring them home." Hope fills me with the thought of them coming home. I know Jackson is a good man and I don't think he'd ever intentionally put my babies at risk. I'm just not sure it's worth the risk. "You guys have to at least consider this."