Chapter 10

I groan and rub my eyes as the shrill ringing of my phone cuts through the air. I blindly reach for it next to me on the bed, trying to get it before it wakes Davina.

"Hello." I grumble.

"Hey, it's Cami."

"Is everything okay?" I ask becoming more awake and sitting up.

"Yeah. Klaus has a place where I can lay low in Arkansas." She informs me. "He is coming to pick me up soon and he asked that I call you, so you can go with us."

"Okay." I tell her. "I'm with Davina so I'll meet you at your apartment."

"Is everything okay?" She inquires. "Why wouldn't he just call you himself?"

"Honestly, I don't understand most of what Niklaus does." I mutter. "I'll see you soon."

"See you soon."

"What's going on?" Davina questions as I hang up, making me gasp and clutch my chest.

"God you scared me." I breath out. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you."

"It's okay." She shrugs, sitting up next to me.

"Cami is going into hiding until we can stop Finn. Nik is picking her up and I'm going to go with them."

"Are you sure that's something you want to do?" Davina asks in concern.

"Yes and no." I sigh, as I stand up and change into some of Davina's clothes without asking her. Sharing clothes isn't anything new with us. "No, I don't like the idea of being in the car with him right now. Yes, I'm going because it's for Cami and Cami is my friend."

"Okay, but if you need me to poof you outta there, all you have to do is text me." She jokes.

"Fairy Godmother to the rescue." I smirk.

"But, seriously just text or call if you need me."

"I will, Vina." I smile, before heading to the door. I pause, taking a deep breath and I look back at her. "There's something I haven't told you and it's been killing me."

Davina scrunches her eyebrows in confusion. "You can trust me with anything."

"I know." I nod. "And it's not you. It's just not safe to tell you right now. But, I promise when it is, you'll be my first call. I just hate lying and you not even knowing that I am or why."

"It's okay, Kelsey." She smiles. "You always do what you think is best and when the time comes for you to tell me I'll be there, ready to hear you."

"I love you, little sis." I tell her.

"I love you, big sis."

_______________________

The walk to Cami's apartment isn't long. I arrive only 20 minutes later, to find her waiting on the side walk for me and Nik.

"Hey." I say jogging up to her.

"Just in time." She smiles, while nodding at Nik's black SUV that is pulling up next to us.

When he parks and unlocks the doors, Cami attempts to approach the backseat. However, I cut in front of her casually and nod at her to take the front. Confusion covers her face, but I don't say anything. Instead, I open the door and climb in the car, avoiding Nik's glaze that I can feel burning into my head.

The silence that coats the air is suffocating. Cami clearly knows something has happened and unfortunately for her she is now suffering with the tension. I keep my eyes on the scenery as it passes by my window. Helping Cami is only a third of the reason I was so willing to tag along. The other two reasons are already in Arkansas with Hayley. Ever since I left them again I've felt like something was missing. It's just keeps getting harder and harder. But, I know if I don't leave and help make New Orleans safe then they can never come home.