Chapter 12

After Cami's text this morning, Nik and I headed to the cemetery to meet her and make an exchange. She wants her dark objects and then she will return the wooden horse. Nik brought a briefcase full of them, but not nearly all of the cursed weapons. We turn a corner and find Vincent leaning against a mausoleum.

   "Ah, Vincent." Nik greets as we approach him. "I should have known Camille would seek powerful fools to aid in this rather futile gambit. As I send you off to join your Ancestors just know this is her fault."

   "No one is dying." I interject as we are stopped by an invisible barrier surrounding Vincent.

   "I was hoping for a simple trade but seeing as how everything you took can't possibly fit in that briefcase I'm gonna go ahead and assume that simple ain't exactly your style, huh?" Vincent says.

   "Why don't you take down this barrier?" Nik inquires. "I'll show you precisely what my style entails."

    "Threatening him isn't going to get us anywhere." I mutter, nudging Nik.

   "Seriously?" Cami scoffs coming into view behind Vincent. "I have an ancient, mystical weapon of doom, and instead of agreeing to my very fair trade, you're making threats?"

   "There she is." Nik addresses her. "Traitor to my family. Thief of that which is mine."

   "Don't be dramatic." Cami and I say in unison.

   "Like I said, I just wanted your attention and seeing as you're here, I'd say I got it." She continues.

   "Yes, a rather effective tactic." Nik counters. "One I usually reserve for enemies and here I thought we were friends."

   "We are." She tells him. "But friendships are built on trust and equality, and we don't have either if you're confiscating my stuff."

    "And so your response is to steal what's mine in an attempt to bend my will to your own."

    "Guys." I intercept. "Obviously, you're both feeling betrayed. Nik dictating her life isn't going to help her, it'll push her away. And Cami taking the one thing that everyone has been looking for, including a organization that wants to use it against us wasn't tactical. You did that based on your emotions, which are all over the place right now."

   "I just want back what he took." She exclaims. Nik smirks and puts the briefcase on the ground in between them. "What, that's, like, a third of them? So would you like a third of the white oak?"

   "Oh my god." I groan and roll my eyes.

   "Are you really gonna do this?" Nik inquires in disbelief.

   "Okay, listen." Vincent sighs pushing himself off the wall. "I'm gonna leave you three alone but, uh, you want my advice? You all best to finish this up before someone finds out what she took." And with that he leaves us to ourselves.

   "He's right." I agree. "Nik, just give her what she wants so we can be done."

   "Thank you." She smiles. "At least someone is on my side."

   "I'm not on your side." I snap and her face falls. "Not about this. But, that toy you have has the potential to ruin my family. If that gets in worse hands then yours then it can be used to strip my twins of their family. You weren't thinking of the consequences when you stole it, just how it would benefit you. That's not the actions of someone that claims to be my friend."

   "He took what's mine first." She counters with guilt hidden in her features.

   "Yeah, he did." I confirm getting annoyed with her. "But, his motive was to protect you, not something that benefits him. You are a new vampire, who hasn't figured out the person you are. You're not the same anymore and you need to learn to navigate that. You need to get a grasp on your emotions. Having those objects while doing that can put you in danger. His intentions were good, you're aren't."