Chapter 5

The universe seems to be conspiring against me. That's got to be the reason these witches are everywhere. A new one showing up every day. Today it's Agnes who sits across from me as I sit on the couch with Hayley. Hayley is reading a book she found on one of the many shelves and I'm doing a word search out of a word search book Rebekah picked up. She had got Hayley and I a few things to help keep us from succumbing to boredom. She even went as far as to include a coloring book with crayons, colored pencils, and markers. However, my word search was interrupted by Agnes coming to inform me that I should go see a doctor.

"I told you, Agnes, I feel great." I repeat for like the hundredth time.

"You are overdue for a checkup." She insists.

"What am I going to do, pop into the Quarter for a quick ultrasound?" I ask sarcastically. "A pregnant werewolf escorted by a witch. Nothing to see here."

"A lot of women would kill to have a child." Rebekah says from the other room making me feel guilty knowing she was hinting at herself. "Strikes me as odd that you're not taking better care of yours."

"I know a doctor out in the Bayou off the beaten path." Agnes informs me. "Now I took the liberty of making you an appointment for tonight after hours, just us. Vampires will never get word of it."

"No. She's not going anywhere with you alone. I don't trust you." Hayley glares.

"It's fine. I'll go." I reply nodding at Agnes and looking at Hayley. "It'll be okay." I try to reassure her with false hope because honestly, I don't trust her either. "Bayou baby doctor it is."

________________

    Staying true to her word, Agnes arrived later that evening to pick me up. It's not too long before we arrive at a small building surrounded by woods. There is one very dim light on the porch. The building is old and run down.

"This is the doctor's office?" I ask her skeptically.

"Dr. Paige is only this far out because Marcel's men kept terrorizing her patients. Go. She won't bite."

Without sparing her a glance, I get out of the car and make my way to the door while staying alert. As I walk in, I'm greeted by a blonde woman who looks to be in her forties. She has a warm smile that relaxes me, but only a little.

"You must me Kelsey." She says putting her hand out between us. I shake it with a tight smile. "I'm Dr. Paige. I'm sorry I know this is kinda unconventional."

"No kidding." I breath out a slight chuckle.

"If you follow me, we can get started and hopefully have you on your way as quickly as possible." Dr. Paige turns and starts to head to another room with me trailing behind her. We enter a clean examination room with the ultrasound machine already set up. "Just have a seat and lay back." She gestures to the examining table. Doing as she asks; I also lift my shirt revealing my stomach. The doctor sits on her stool and squirts blue gel on my abdomen.

After a while of her moving the wand connected to a heart rate monitor, she smiles. "Your baby's heart rate is perfect." Dr. Paige turns to put her stuff away and hands me a paper towel to wipe the gel off.

"I knew it. She's a tough one like her mom." I joke lightly sitting up putting my back to her.

"That's a unique birthmark." She speaks.

"We're pretty much done here, right?" I ask avoiding her statement while pull up my jacket covering the crescent. My cell phone vibrates taking my attention seeing a message from Rebekah asking where I was.