Chapter 7

Rebekah and I walk into the living room to find Niklaus on the couch reading some book and Elijah in the chair across from him, also, reading. However, his book looks to be worn leather and journal like. The thing that really catches my attention is the dead girl that lays across the coffee table as both brothers just sit there in a peaceful silence.

"So this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family." Rebekah states in disbelief. "Vampire book club."

"Reading edifies the mind, sister." Niklaus says without removing his eyes from his book. "Isn't that right, Elijah."

"Yes. That's quite right, Niklaus."

"And what's this business?" She inquires referring to the corpse.

"You know, besides it being incredibly disgusting." I mumble folding my arms across my chest.

"This is a peace offering." Elijah states.

"I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish." Niklaus retorts still keeping his eyes on his book.

"So I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behavior that indicates contrition and personal growth, not this nonsense." Elijah explains.

"I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Niklaus says amused glancing up at Elijah.

"Oh, no that would be rude." I tell him sarcastically earning chuckles from all three vampires. I take a seat on the other side on the couch while tucking my feet under me.

"Well, I suppose I'll fetch the ruddish bin because she's staining a 200 year old carpet." Rebekah says annoyed while leaving the room.

"Priorities." I mutter low enough that only Niklaus hears me and he smirks in amusement.

"Oh, yes." Elijah replies watching the girls blood drip on the floor for a long moment. I lean closer to Niklaus to see what he's reading, but before I got a look Hayley breezes though the room into the kitchen. Elijah keeps his eyes locked on the space she just occupied before putting his journal down and following after her. Niklaus watches as he leaves, unbothered. While he is distracted, I reach over a grab his book out of his hands.

"What exactly are you doing?" Niklaus asks.

"Being nosey, obviously." I shrug looking at the poem he was reading. "A poison tree?"

"Curiosity killed the cat." He states reaching for the book. I slide to the other side of the couch putting my socked covered feet up in-between us so he couldn't get to it.

"Satisfaction brought it back." I rebuttal with a smirk causing him to laugh. "So, this is what you edify your mind with." I mock.

"It passes the time." He tries to get the book back again but I raise my eyebrows daringly keeping one leg out so he couldn't get any closer. His chest running into the tip of my toes.

"My foe outstretch'd beneath the tree." I read the first line I see looking down at the book and then back at him. "Sounds like you're planning." I comment giving his book back.

"Anything is possible." He smirks relaxing back into his position.

"Oh, with you? I have no doubt." I chuckle teasingly as he continues to smirk. Rebekah returns with a bin and some cleaning supplies. She takes a place on the floor and starts cleaning the blood.

"Poetry about poisoned apples from dead trees." Rebekah comments causing Niklaus to look up at her and away from his poem. "Looks like someone is worried about impending daddyhood."