Chapter 14

Niklaus and Marcel left early this morning to go to church. Father Kieran decided to reopen the church and today is the first service. Morning sickness kept me up most of the night so I didn't even try to convince them to let me tag along. Instead, I decided to sleep in this morning.

   Hearing voices downstairs in the court yard, I peek over the banister. Marcel and Nik are back and they are standing over a dead body with Elijah. Normally, I'd be more freaked out but it seems that living here, dead bodies are going to be a common thing. The dead man has dark skin, a bald head, and wore a white suit in the middle of another circle. Blood covered the front of him. I walk down the stairs to get a better idea of what is going on. As I approach them I see that the blood on him is from his throat being slit. Elijah is examining the man.

   "Can I get you anything, brother?" Nik asks sarcastically. "A magnifying glass, a pipe perhaps?"

   "You have a theory that you'd like to share with us, Niklaus?" Elijah retorts.

   "Who is this?" I enter the conversation. "Tunde killed someone else?"

   "This, Kelsey, is Papa Tunde." Nik answers with a smirk making my eye widen slightly.

   "And judging by your faces, the witchy symbols, and this pow-wow, someone else killed him?" I say getting no answer, which actually answers the question. "Great." I mutter. 

   "Back in the day, the witches wanted to send a threat, they'd just kill a chicken and leave it on your doorstep." Marcel tells us.

   "It's rather a large and ominous chicken, wouldn't you say?" Elijah question rhetorically standing up from his crouched position.

   "Papa Tunde defeated Rebekah with ease," Says Nik before gesturing to Marcel and himself. "Almost took the two of us as well. If he was suppose to be their prized fighter, why leave him for dead in our front yard?"

   "Well, don't you all look cheery." Rebekah comments as she enters the court yard. "Listen to this... A girl literally exploded from a grave today as Sabine was giving her tour of the City of the Dead."

   "Who?" I ask with anticipation and false hope.

   "It was Monique Deveraux." Rebekah replies.

   "What?" Nik exclaims as my face falls into a hard look.

   "The tourist thought it was part of the show, but the witches are celebrating like it's some kind of bloody miracle." Rebekah informs us.

   "Maybe it is." Marcel says. "They think that all hope is lost, but now suddenly a Harvest girl is resurrected. This is how we're gonna get Davina back--" He continues looking between Nik and me. "Kill the witch who took her place."

   "I have a theory about who one of them could be." Hayley's voice sounds making all of us turn to the stairs to see her standing there. She drapes Davina's sketches over the railing. "Celeste. I mean, it's got to be. Davina was trying to tell us. She was drawing pictures of Celeste. She was warning us that a great evil was coming."

   "First Papa Tunde returns to settle old scores." Nik starts before pointing at Elijah briefly. "Now your murdered lover is back. This isn't witches attacking vampires. They're declaring war on us."

____________________

   The Mikaelson's decided it was to dangerous for Hayley and I at the Compound. So, Rebekah insisted we go stay at the Plantation. I completely disagreed and didn't want to leave the Compound. However, Hayley had something planned and asked me to just go with what they want and since she has supported me through this problematic pregnancy and Davina dying, I owe her. So, I'm trusting that if there is a way to get Davina back, Marcel will find it while I'm gone. Rebekah went to the Plantation with us and Hayley drove.