Chapter 21

Hayley's Point of View

   "How's the little ones?" Mary asks in concern as I approach her through the heavy rain. She is doing something with some herbs. "And Kelsey?" The rain has been nonstop since last night, making it hard for us to continue on.

   "The twins are sleeping right through the storm. As for Kelsey, I have Will keeping an eye on her. Every time she starts to come to, he breaks her neck again." I sigh, absolutely hating that we have to do it. "Mary, I appreciate you coming, but you should know what you're going up against." My hair is drenched and sticking to my face and my neck, as we talk over the raging winds.

   "Ancient witch wants to steal the closest I have to granddaughters? Not on my watch." Mary tells me without hesitation. "I brought you something, might come in handy." She shows me the herbs tied in a small bundle. "In my youth, wolves and witches had peace. A Voodoo queen I knew showed me how to use herbs to tell when magic's afoot. Combine Solomon's seal and snapdragon, and burn them." She lights a lighter and puts it to the end of the herbs. Then, she places it in a small bowl. "If the smoke is white, all's clear. If it's black, there's a hex in the air. And if it's red, well, then you know you're in trouble." Both both look down at the bowl and see thick black smoke rolling out of it. "Just what I thought. This storm ain't natural."

   "It's Dahlia."  I nod looking at the sky. "She's trying to pin us down."

   Jackson joins us under the tarp. "The road to the highway is flooded. Quickest way out is on foot through the back roads." I sigh getting more anxious. "What's wrong?"

   "Elijah called." I inform him and Mary. "Klaus is gone. That's why Kelsey is now waking up periodically. We don't know where he is."

   "That settles it. We gotta get out of here." Jackson decides.

   "What about the others?" I question.

   "Let's go talk to them."

   We walk back out into the rain. I pull my hoodie to cover my head. Jackson leads me to the place where most of the wolves are congregating.

   "All right, everybody listen up!" Jackson announces, stopping any conversations and gaining everyone's attention. Once all eyes are on us, Jackson gives me a nod letting me know it's my turn to speak, as he interlocks our fingers.

   "I wanna thank you all for staying with us, protecting us. For the past few weeks each one of you has shown me more kindness than I have ever known." I tell them honestly. "Despite hardships and tragedy, you've all become the family that I always wanted. You're my pack. But I can't let you risk your lives anymore than you already have. The witch is coming. She's powerful, and she's not gonna stop. Jack and I will be better off taking Kelsey and the twins and getting as far away as we can, alone." The crowd starts exchanging looks. "I want you to know how grateful I am for everything that you have offered me. Us. But I can't be your queen anymore." As soon as the word leave my mouth one by one the pack begins to kneel. Jackson steps in front of me, facing me and keeping my hand in his grip.

   "You will always be their queen." He says with rain dripping down his face. Then, he bows and places a kiss on my hand that is in his.

___________________________

   The rain finally stopped as we trek through the wood, both babies strapped to me again. Jackson leads the way up to a river. Will and another wolf, Jon, carry Kelsey's stretcher behind me with Mary staying close.

   "This is it." Jackson announces as we step up to the rivers bank.

   "Good." I say. "Tell the others they can go. We'll be fine from here." I don't want the wolves risking their lives anymore than they have.