Chapter 4

I carry Bexley into the Compound and Hayley carries Hope. The Compound is completely destroyed. Furniture is smashed and sheets hang from the second floor. Plants and vines cover the walls and ceiling. However, I don't pay much attention to all that. My anxiety is through the roof and my heart is hammering in my chest.

"Our home." Nik states, as he looks around. "Once the pride of our family, now a flophouse."

"Indeed, the mighty have fallen." Elijah agrees.

"Where's Vincent?" I question. Hayley and I hurry over to the couch and lay down the twins.

"Right here." Vincent says, coming into the Courtyard from one of the rooms where he was waiting. "Kept my word. Now the only question is whether or not you guys are gonna keep yours. As soon as I'm finished healing your kid, you got to leave the city."

"We aren't interested in a turf war." I snap, my patience gone.

"Well, we're not gonna stay, are we?" Nik questions sarcastically. "Your city has lost its charm."

"Listen." I interject, looking at Vincent. "We're very grateful that you're willing to do this. Just, please, help them and we will leave."

"Just give us what we need, and we will do so, happily." Elijah adds.

"Excuse me." He says to Hayley, and she backs out of his way. I get up from in front of the twins and walk around to the back of the couch. "Okay..." Vincent whispers, as he kneels down next to them. He starts to rub his hands together, looking at Hope, and chanting. "Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer...." Then he touches her temples and her eyes flutter open. "Oh..." He sighs and stands up.

"Mom?" She calls and I quickly step around then couch and over to her.

"That's it." Vincent says.

"Wait, what about Bexley?" I ask him.

Vincent turns and looks at me confused. "She's affected, too?" He inquires and I nod. "That doesn't...." He moves to her and closes his eyes, putting his hand on her forehand. After a few seconds he removes his hand and looks at me. "Hope was the one affected, but since they're twins, and they're connected Bexley was experiencing the same. Now that Hope is purified, Bexley is too."

"I feel better, Mommy." Bexley nods and sits up and moves closer to Hope and me.

"Thank you." Nik tells him, as Vincent begins to leave. I help the girls to their feet and hug them tightly.

"Now look, the only gratitude I need from any of you is seeing you leave the city." Vincent says.

"Go see your daddy." I tell the twins and they walk over to him.

But, when they get about halfway, a death crow falls from the sky. And then, another and another. I run up to the twins and turn them to look at me, instead of the falling birds. They keep falling around us, until about fifty lay dead on the ground in a circle. The twins and I being in the center.

"What is this?" Nik inquire, looking at Vincent.

"I don't know." He says observing the dead crows in confusion.

"Mom?" Bexley says, looking around the Courtyard. "Can you hear that?"

"It's... whispers." Hope states, looking around, too. "Saying a name. Over and over"

"Kre Nah Han..." They say in unison, meeting my eyes. "Kre Nah Han..."

"Vincent, what...." I trail off not hearing anything, my eyes not leaving the twins. "What is that?"