Chapter 12

"Might I suggest you enjoy the charms of the city while you still can?" Nik says as I enter the study, where he, Rebekah, and Elijah are talking. I had set the twins up with their breakfast and left them drawing at the table. "Marcel will want us gone posthaste, as per our agreement."

   "Or perhaps he's changed his mind and he will grant us a reprieve." Rebekah suggests.

   "He will grant us no such thing." Elijah denies.

   "Yeah." I sigh. "Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that bridge is burned. I think we'll be lucky if we have a long-distance relationship with him."

   "We're going to meet with him to discuss the terms of our departure." Elijah adds, standing up.

    "I suspect he simply needs to be asked nicely." Rebekah counters. "You boys really should leave these matters to me."

    "Good luck." I call to her as she exits the room.

    "It's good to have you back, Elijah." I smile at him. He looks at me a bit surprised and confused.

    "Do you mean that?"

    "Of course, I do." I nod.

    "Really?" He questions crossing his arms. "Because last I knew, you hated me for Davina's death."

    "Listen." I sigh. "We've had our differences and half the time I strongly disagree with you. But you are still my family. I'm sure it won't be the last time you severely piss me off." I shrug. "You're the brother I never wanted." I smirked, teasingly as Nik chuckles and Elijah cracks a small smile. "You were the first one to look after me, after Hayley and I appreciate that. Besides, haven't you heard?" He scrunches his eyebrows in confusion. I cut my eyes over to Nik. "No one told him?"

    "It's your news to share." He smirks. "And trust me, he could use the good news."

    I look at Elijah and smile widely. "Davina is alive."

   "She is?" He asks in shock.

   "The only good thing The Hollow did." I nod. "She brought Davina back as leverage against Kol, so that he would take her side. She even linked herself to Davina. Thankfully, Kol had the twins delink them, before I killed Inadu."

    "That's fantastic." He smiles at me.

    "Her and Kol escaped this town, and she can live without all the drama." I say in relief.

    "I'm happy for you and her." He says sincerely. "I'm truly sorry for the part I had in her death five years ago."

    "I know." I smile softly. He nods and walks out. "I actually came to talk to you, now that the Hollow is gone."

    "About what?" Nik inquires.

   "The twins future."

   "That is an important conversation, and we will have it, but right now Elijah and I are late to meet with Marcel." Nik says. "And that is a much longer conversation."

    "Agreed." I nod. "But we do need to have it soon."

    "We will." He smiles and kisses me quickly. "I promise."

_________________________

    I hang up the phone and make my way up stairs. I had decided to call Davina and check in with her and Kol. Talking to her again is like a breath of fresh air and she sounds so much happier, like a crushing weight has been lifted off her shoulders and she can finally relax. I told her that the Mikaelson's are trying to convince Marcel to extent our stay and still have peace. I, also, told her that I think it's a waste of time and she agreed. After everything we've been through, I'm honestly ready to start again somewhere, anywhere else. I don't want to abandon New Orleans completely. I'd like to come back and visit it with the twins when they're older. They should know where they come from, but so much has happened and I'm ready to start fresh. I won't voice this to Nik, though. He is so content and happy here, if there is a micro chance Marcel agrees, I don't want to take that away from him.