Chapter 10

When Nik and I woke up this morning we saw a note left by the twins. They had decided to go and visit Bill's grave. Knowing that this is a lot to deal with on their own, Nik and I quickly got dressed and headed to the cemetery.

   The two of us don't speak as we walk through the rows of tombs and crypts, following Hope and Bexley's heartbeats. We both know what to waiting for the girls on a full moon and the pain they feel about Bill's death. We'd both been through it in different ways. I just never realized that guiding them through this would bring my father's death to the front of my mind. Ever since we found Bill's body I've been playing my dad dying over and over again. I just hope the girls aren't torturing themselves as much as I did.

   "You didn't have to come." Hope says as Nik and I stand a few feet away. Their backs are to us, not needing to look to know who we are. A small table with Bill's picture with a flower in a vase next to it and a few mementos is in front of them. 

   "We wanted to make sure you two were alright." Nik tells them.

   "We're dealing." Bexley mutters with a shrug.

   "I don't know why we leave flowers." Hope voices. "Doesn't do them any good. It's not an apology for killing someone."

   "Unintentionally." Nik states.

   "Does it matter?" Bexley scoffs rhetorically.

   "It absolutely matters." I tell them. "It was an accident. You didn't mean it and the guilt you feel proves that it does matter. Guilt sucks, but feeling it when you do something you shouldn't means you have a conscience. You both are going to make mistakes, it's what you do after that determines your character."

   "You rid the city of those vermin." Nik adds. "You have nothing to apologize for."

   "Don't make it sound so noble." Hope shakes her head, turning to face us. "Yeah, yeah, we killed a few bad guys, but it was as much to get the magic out of us as anything else. Besides, it's not like it lasted more than a few hours." I glance down at her arm and see that the black veins are back. Bexley shifts and looks at us too, prominent black bags under her eyes and her eye lids drooping. "Well, at least he gets his revenge next week when the full moon comes."

   "Hope, Bexley, however much you dread your first transformation, once you go through it, you're gonna feel better." Nik assures them, walking closer.

   "I don't know if I dread it or if I wish that I could just turn and never turn back." Hope admits honestly. "Mom's always said, that after the pain, it's one of the best feelings in the world."

   "I wish there was a way to out run all of this." Bexley mumbles looking down.

   "Listen to me." I sigh, stepping next to Nik. "We are here for you guys, okay? We will get through this and you will come out stronger on the other side. Not just physically, but emotionally."

   "Your mom and I want to help you." Nik nods.

   "I know, but we need to be alone." Hope says gently. She grabs Bexley's hand and they turn back around to face the table, giving Nik and I a clear view of Hope's neck. Her hair is pulled back into a ponytail, leaving her ears uncovered. A trail of black veins run up her neck and behind her right ear.

   "As you wish." Nik says.

   "We'll check in later." I whisper to them. Nik and I share a concerned look and turn and walk away. Once we are out of hearing range of the twins glance at Nik. "I think it's time we call for help."

   "I was thinking the same thing." Nik agrees. I pull out my phone and call someone I know will drop everything and get here as fast as possible, but Nik stops me. "Let's pay them a visit instead."