Chapter 5

Hope, Roman, and I have been driving for hours. Hope is scrolling through Roman's playlist on his phone and I've taken to sleeping as much as I can. I don't like being in such a small area with Roman. I still don't trust him, even if he is doing us a favor. It's probably just to get in Hope's pants. Why Hope trusts him is beyond me. She's like too blinded by her crush to listen to instincts.

"Okay, I knew your hair had emo tendencies, but your music?" Hope teases. I open my eyes from trying to take a nap and lean between their seats to look at his phone with her.

"Shade thrown and caught." He smiles, taking his phone back. "Give me that. Quit judging and lean it." He says opening his camera.

"No, I'll do it." Hope protests, taking his phone back and angling the phone sideways with her arm stretched out. I groan and quickly throw my body backwards to avoid being in a picture with them.

"My mom would kill us if she knew that we were taking selfies and driving." Hope chuckles. "Though compared to us binding our werewolf side, I'd just say it's a misdemeanor."

"No kidding." I mutter, knowing that hiding apart of ourselves would upset our mom. She never wants us to be ashamed that we're different. She wants us to embrace it and in a normal situation I would, but with her life on the line...

"You guys nervous?" Roman asks.

"Our Aunt Freya basically said the we'd regret it for the rest of our lives." Hope answers. "And from what we've read in our dad's journals, it's horrible. So, you know, actually kind of terrified."

"I'm only terrified of how doing this is going to change us for the worse." I sigh. "But, I'd never regret doing something that will save mom and Aunt Hayley."

"Well, Hope, you said you feel like a freak." Roman comments. "I don't know, maybe this will help."

"Still, it's... it's strange cutting out a part of yourself that you barely even know." She explains.

"So you won't miss it." He states. "Anyway, you'll both still be you."

"You don't get it." I tell him, sitting up. "We are the only ones of our kind and yeah, that's freaky and it make us feel different and like we're outsiders. But, it's who we are. Binding ourselves will be like taking away part of who we are. There will always be something missing in us. Just like when it happened to our dad. And he turned desperate to get that part of him back, to feel whole. He didn't care who he killed. Honestly, binding us could completely backfire on the assholes that took our mom and aunt. We could end up worse than if we just stay Tribrids and learn to handle it."

"Doesn't matter, 'cause we're doing it." Hope says.

"Damn straight." I agree.

"You know, your mom should be proud of you both." Roman says.

The hair on my arms stand up and a twinge in my stomach forms. "That's weird." Hope mutters. "I think someone may be tracking me."

"I feel it, too." I nod. "Pull over."

"We- We need to be somewhere quiet." Hope explains and Roman pulls over to the side of the road. Hope turns to me. "I'll handle it." I nod and watch her get out of the car and walk a few paces away, into the field next to us. She holds her hands out and I get out. I walk until I'm a couple of feet behind her. She's muttering under her breath as I wait patiently. When she's done, she turns and sees me. "I said I would do it."

"I know." I nod. "Give me your phone." She pulls it out of her pocket and passes it to me. I take both our phones and drop them on the ground. "Now they can't track us the muggle way." I smirk.