Chapter 9

My nerves are bundled in my stomach almost to the point of being nauseous. I continually bounce my leg in anticipation in the front seat. Anxiety comes off my body in waves. I'm excited to see them and hold them. However, terrified I won't live up to the expectations a great mother should. Scared that I won't be good enough.

   It's a good thing Nik is the one driving and not me. I wouldn't be able to contain myself enough to follow the speed limit. The car is coated in silence. All of us caught up in our own heads. Hayley hasn't breathed a word about the important news that she needs to share with me, Nik, and Elijah. Nik hasn't said anything about where we are headed.

   Nik sighs and reaches over to me and places his hand on my knee to stop it from bouncing, while sending electricity through my leg. The movement surprises me and I look from his hand to his face. He keeps his attention on the road, not looking at me. He glances in his rearview mirror at Hayley, who has a intrigued expression on her face having caught the interaction from the backseat.

   "What was it that you need to tell us, Hayley?" Nik asks placing his eyes back on the road.

   I slightly turn my body enough so I can look at Hayley from the corner of my eyes, Nik's hand not leaving my knee. Hayley gets a mischievous look in her eye as she leans forward, putting the upper part of her body between Nik and me.

   "Okay." Hayley starts. "So, apparently there's this ritual that the Crescent Wolves have heard about, but never seen. At first, Jackson thought it was just a myth, a bedtime story. Until, Ansel told him that he saw it work with his own eyes."

   "What ritual?" I ask her.

   "A marriage with the Alpha. But there are certain steps that have to be taken." Hayley explains. "So, whoever marries the Alpha their abilities would be shared with the entire pack."

   "And who would Jackson marry?" Nik inquires.

   "A hybrid." Hayley says. "That way the pack can turn when they want and they wouldn't need the rings from Esther."

   "You and I are the only hybrids, other than Nik." I deadpan. "Are you suggesting that one of us marries Jackson?" I scrunch my nose, as Nik hand tighten on my knee making me glance at him. His face void of emotion.

   "Yes, then Esther loses the wolves and we have more reinforcements to protect the twins." Hayley says. "They can come home. Besides, we're apart of werewolf royalty anyway."

   "So, one of us marries him and then what?"

   "Well, it would have to be an actual marriage or the ritual won't work. So, whoever marries him has to be fully committed." Hayley tells me and Nik tights his hand again.

   "No." Nik states.

   "What do you mean 'No'?" Hayley scoffs. "The twins could come home. Isn't that what we've been trying to do for months? I found a way to do it and you're just shooting it down."

   "Elijah quite likes you and a marriage with Jackson will ruin that." Nik shrugs.

   "Then Kelsey can do it." Hayley tells him with a glint in her eye.

   "Absolutely not." Nik and I say in unison. My head snaps in his direction in surprise as Hayley smirks.

   "What do you mean?" I ask him. "Why?"

   "You just said no, too." He scoffs.

   "Yeah, but why do you think you get to answer for me?" I fold my arms and he removes his hand from my leg, my skin instantly going cold at the lose of contact.