Chapter 2: New Orleans

New Orleans is definitely an experience. The streets are always filled with people dancing and venders selling their products. The most exciting part is the activities don't stop when the sun goes down. At night the streets become even more alive. Music is playing all the time. I almost missed it. Almost. Thankfully, Hayley and I have been busy looking for Davina and any whispers about Hayley's family. There hasn't been much time for me to wallow in the fact that this is the place that holds the worse day of my life. We spend most of the time asking the locals questions and mapping locations for any places a pack might reside. A place we spend a lot of time at is Rousseau's, a bar in the heart of New Orleans.

"Third time this week." Comments Jane-Anne Deveraux. She's a kind bartender that works at Rousseau's.

"I'm obessed with the gumbo, Jane-Anne." Hayley replies causing me to chuckle but hide it by clearing my throat. Jane-Anne smiles at us and moves to refill my drink.

"The old ladies in the ninth ward say my sister, Sophie bleeds a piece of her soul into every dish."

"I asked around The Quarter about my family." Hayley states bluntly looking at Jane.

"And?"

"Nothing. Zero luck." I add.

"I can't find a single person that remembers them." The werewolf breathes out.

"Because, Hayley, people like you and Kelsey were ran out of here years ago." Suspicion creeps into my body. Sitting up straighter, I share a concerned look with Hayley.

"What do you mean, people like us?" I inquire while furrowing my eyebrows and watching her carefully. She looks at us before walking around the bar and standing in front of us as we turn to face her.

"In the Bayou they call the werewolves roux-ga-roux" She says while reaching over and circling a location on our map. "You head out there you'll find what you're looking for."  Hayley and I stand staring at the map as Jane places her hand on my shoulder. I barely notice, seeing as I'm distracted by the first lead we've had in a while. "Be careful. It's the last place you ever want to go." She warns.

Nodding in thanks Hayley and I leave, immediately walking to the car. I get in the passenger seat letting Hayley drive. I continuously shift uncomfortably. Which Hayley definitely notices.

"Are you okay? You seem on edge ever since we left the bar." She glances at me before focusing back on the road as we drive into the country.

"Fine. I just got a weird vibe from Jane-Anne." I shrug. "You don't find it odd that she knew we are wolves?" I ask looking at her.

"I think that you're being a little paranoid." She says before a slight teasing smirk comes across her face. "You know, I heard paranoia is a STD. You probably caught it from Klaus."

"I should have never told you I slept with him." I grit out glaring at her. She insistantly asked me what happened between Niklaus and I the entire journey to New Orleans. Eventually I couldn't hear her anymore and caved. Ever since I've not been able to live it down.

"Please, like I gave you the choice." she laughs.

"I was drunk. People make bad decisions with alcohol." I mutter.

"Sure.... blame it on the Scotch." I roll my eyes at her teasing and change to subject back to Jane and off me.

"I'm just saying, I'm glad I never mentioned Davina."

________________

As night falls the deeper we go into the Bayou, it all starts looking the same so to get our bearings we pull over. I get the map out of the glove department and open it so Hayley and I both can see. But before we could decipher it, it catches fire.