Chapter 22

Klaus drove us in the white Ford out to an open field so Dahlia could conduct her spell. We had taken the twins car seats out and put them in the back on the truck, since it was facing Dahlia and her wooden table where she is prepping. I sit on the tailgate next to them and Klaus leans on it beside me. Dahlia had, also, kidnapped Freya and she is unconscious in the bed of the truck.

Dahlia lights her candles and does all the necessary prep work for the spell, including pouring salt in the shape on an infinity sign. She has two chalices sitting in each of the hoops of the infinity sign.

"You're quiet." Dahlia speaks. "Are you having misgivings?"

"I was just looking for a polite way to ask, what the hell is taking so long?" Klaus sneers and usually I'd enjoy his snark, but the anger I have towards him is consuming.

"Well, we can begin now." She tells us. "Once we're linked, I'll no longer have to sleep for a hundred years again. Your concerns for my status will ease, and I will finally be able to focus on Hope and Bexley. I will only need a single drop of their blood." She approaches us until she's standing in front of Klaus. "And then their power shall be mine also."

"What do you wanna do about Freya?" Klaus asks gesturing to her unconscious body behind the twins car seats.

"She's served her purpose, so tonight" Dahlia looks up at the moon. "at the moon's apex, I'll end her life. And once our link is severed, the bond I share with your daughters will become permanent."

"And me?" I inquire. "What exactly is your master plan with me?"

"Well, if you continue with your surprising cooperation I might concern giving you the same deal I've given the man you claim to love." She jabs. "Although, I'm not sure he'd agree to it, after all, you did attempt to flee with his children, turning your back on him."

"You don't know what your talking about." I sneer, my blood beginning to boil.

"Best get on with it." Klaus interrupts, before I explode on her. He walks over to the table. Dahlia follows and takes Klaus' hand.

She looks back at me. "Kelsey, come grab Klaus' other hand." I hesitate slightly, but hop off the tailgate anyway.

I take my place next to Klaus and he holds his hand out and gives me a reassuring looking. I sigh deeply and interlock our fingers. Dahlia waves her hand over the table and begins her incantation. As she chants the wind picks up, blowing my hair around my head. Blood from the chalices in the middle of each of the infinity hoops overflows and spills on the table. The blood glides across the table and connects in the middle where the salt intersects. When the blood mixes, our bodies are force back to face the sky and then we are quickly released.

I pant as I regain my composure and Klaus does the same. Klaus keeps my hand in his and pulls us away and faces the twins. "Trust me." He mutters so low that without vampire hearing I wouldn't have heard him. Which means Dahlia didn't. I squeeze his hand tightly confirming that I do trust him. Even if I'm am incredibly angry and frustrated with him at the moment, I know he will always put the girl first and that is all I need to know right now.

"With your strength, I will never need to sleep for a century again." Dahlia breathes out in relief.

"Well, perhaps one more nap." Klaus says releasing my hand and turning to face her.

Then, he slowing slides a gold dagger into his heart. The same dagger Kol and Davina were working on to use against him. The dagger that is meant to act like the ones he had used on his sibling countless times.

Dahlia's eye filled with panic and she reaches out, attempting to use her magic. But I was too late, the dagger pierces his heart and the three of us fall to the grass unconscious.