Chapter 18

Hayley and Jackson came over and convinced me to take the twins out, so we could all get some fresh air and a break. I was against it at first, having the babies out in the open. However, they shouldn't have to hide away in fear of something that's coming. Dahlia isn't here yet and Finn has been dealt with. So, after some work Hayley talked me into it. Especially, since we have Jackson and a few other wolves keeping an eye out.

The twins sit snug in their double stroller as I push them down the street. The Quarter is busy with tourist and locals. Art and flowers are being sold at small booths. Everyone seems to be in a good mood and enjoying the day, which helps me relax.

"Well, Mrs. Marshall-Kenner and Ms. Claire now that you both have a real local to show you around the Quarter what would you like to see first?" Jackson smiles.

"Well, Mr. Kenner, I'd ask to see your old haunts, but we do have two impressionable young ladies with us." Hayley smiles back.

I fake gag and then chuckle. "You guys are nauseating." I tease, earning a nudge from Hayley and a laugh from Jackson.

A young woman stands on the side walk and is playing the violin. If there is one good thing about New Orleans, it's that there is music everywhere. We walk up to her and listen as she finishes her piece. Then, Hayley places some money in her violin case.

"Thanks." Hayley nods appreciatively.

We continue to walk as the lady starts playing another song. The hair on the back of my neck goes up and something feels off. I share a look with Hayley and Jackson and I can tell they have the same unsettling feeling. The three of us look back at the lady playing the instrument to find her staring directly at me.

"What is she playing?" I ask them uncomfortable.

Neither of them have an answer. I glance back at her and she is still staring intently. I shake it off and we start walking again. My nerves still on edge. We pass a waiter who is outside a restaurant writing on a chalk board. When, he's done he stands and stares at me, like the violin lady. I look at the board and it reads 'A promise made is a debt to be paid' and I swallow thickly.

"Something isn't right." I mutter looking around for anything else that's odd.

Suddenly, a man stops in front of me holding a flower. It's red and black mixed with purple and blue. "A flower miss?" He asks kindly. "A gift for the children." He lowers the flower in the twins direction.

"No, we're all right. Thank you." Jackson cuts in taking a step forward and closer to the twins. Hayley doing the same on the other side.

"Are you sure?" The stranger asks a little creepily. "Black Dahlias are in bloom. They're quite lovely."

My heart rate picks up and I attempt to push pass him without giving him an answer. When, I go to walk by he quickly grips my upper arm. I snap my head in his direction and see his eyes cloud over and a blank look spread across his face.

The man is unexpectedly shoved off me by Nik. His hand wrapped firmly around the man's neck. "Show yourself, witch." Nik demands.

"Klaus." Hayley says. I look at her behind me and see her watching Jackson. Jackson's eyes are clouded over, like the stranger. Nik releases the man and he runs away. We turn our attention to Jackson.

"I am here." He says monotoned. "I am everywhere. And I intend to take what is mine."

"It's her." Nik says.

Jackson grunts and stumbles back. He looks at us confused. "Hey, what just happened?" He inquires.

I look at Nik with worry and with a hard expression he answers. "Dahlia."