Chapter 19

"Klaus! Kelsey!" Cami's voice enters the Compound. "Klaus?"

Nik and I glance at each other, having just laid the twins down and we immediately vamped to the Courtyard. "What is it?" He asks her.

"Something happened and you're both gonna be angry, but Lucien wants you angry, especially you Klaus." She starts. "He's trying to lure you into a trap."

"What did he do?" Nik inquires gritting his teeth.

"Promise me you won't fly off the handle and do something crazy." Cami says. Nik looks away from her not wanting to make a promise he can't keep. And neither do I. Anxiety and fear is flooding my body because I know whatever she has to say isn't good. "Promise me." She repeats. He looks at her arm and slowly grabs it and pulls up her shirt, revealing a bite. I put my hand over my mouth to cover my gasp and my heartbeat picks up in panic. "Before you lose it... Klaus, look at me." She puts his hands on his shoulders and he looks up at her. "You're my best friend and I won't let you get yourself killed." As soon as the words leave her mouth she goes limp, unable to hold herself up anymore. Nik catches her and holds her up.

"Camille." He calls in concern.

"Cami." I exclaim rushing to their side.

"You're not dying today." Nik states, picking her up and taking her to the study to find Freya. I follow quickly, sending a text to Hayley and wiping the tear that escapes my eye.

___________________

Nik and Freya are talking a few feet away and Hayley is standing by me and Cami. I decided to sit with Cami on the couch, so that she isn't left alone while everyone discusses what to do. Cami, however starts to go into a daze. She looks around with a slightly confused expression.

"Cami?" I call out to her, but it's like she doesn't hear me.

"Cami?" Hayley tries, but nothing. Her eyes just continue to scan around her.

"Cami?" I touch her hand. She finally snaps out of it at the contact and Hayley takes a seat on the coffee table in front of her.

"Are you alright?" Hayley inquires.

"Yeah." She says swallow thickly. "Considering."

"Hold still." Nik says turning from Freya and walking over to her. He sits next to Hayley and across from me with his body turned to Cami. "This is going to burn." He places a cloth over her bite and she flinches and hisses in pain.

"Ow." She exclaims. "What is it?"

"It's a healing salve." Freya explains. "Motherwort, white willow bark. The recipe is over a thousand years old."

"So, the good stuff, huh?" Cami sighs.

"It will ease the pain, dull the symptoms, but it won't stop the infection." Freya tells her.

"So, I'm screwed." Cami says dully.

"We're gonna do everything we can, Cami." Hayley reassures her and I take her hand and squeeze it.

"And to that end, a little assistance." Elijah announces entering the room with Vincent following behind him.

"Cami, I'm so sorry." Vincent shakes his head sincerely.

"You should be." Nik blames. "This is your fault." He stands up and charges at Vincent. "It was you who turned Lucien into a beast--"

"Klaus, stop." Cami says as Elijah puts his hand on his chest to stopping him from harming Vincent. "It's not his fault."