Shielding The Innocent - Nikl...

By ForeverKeke07

Kelsey Claire is forced to return to the place she was born, because her sister is missing. Her only friend... More

Author's Note
Season 1 Cast
Chapter 1: Mystic Falls
Chapter 2: New Orleans
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Season 2 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Season 3 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Season 4 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Season 5 Cast
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 2

476 11 0
By ForeverKeke07

   I was feeling especially angry and hungry yesterday and this morning. Nik decided yesterday that it would be a good idea to get out of the Compound. So, we went to a place called the Cauldron and then we ran through the woods in wolf form. Occasionally I will turn into a wolf in hopes of forgetting all human problems by running and acting on pure animalistic instincts. Sometimes it helps numb the pain and numbing is exactly what I needed the last few days. So, I killed and felt no guilt.

   I left a body in the court yard, not caring if anyone sees it. It's not like anyone comes here anymore. Hopefully, Elijah or Nik will clean up the mess. Or order someone to do it. I left a trail of blood leading to my bathroom, where I am taking a bath.

   It doesn't take long for Elijah to follow that trail and show up at my door. A judgmental look all over his face as he looks at a second body sitting up against the wall. Thankfully, I am surrounded by bubbles, so my naked body is hidden from him.

   "Can I help you?" I snark, not looking up.

   "You've had an eventful morning." He says.

   "Well, I've had a shit couple of days. So, Nik got me out of the house and took me to The Cauldron." I tell him monotoned. "And of course, we ran into some witches." I address the dead bodies.

   "So would you like me to remove your leftovers?" Elijah asks with a hint of sarcasm.

   "Don't be judgy." I snap, finally looking at him. "It's not like Nik hasn't done worse."

   "I would hope that you would hold yourself to a higher standard than Niklaus." Elijah comments.

   "I do, sometimes." I roll my eyes. "Like I said, he's done WORSE." I emphasize 'worse'. "Besides, I'm a hybrid now. My werewolf temper mixed with a new appetite, and the witches responsible for attempting to kill my twins is reasonable grounds for my behavior. Besides, the one's responsible are worthless. So, they get to be food. Now, I'm not Katherine Peirce and I would like to leave it at one Mikaelson brother seeing me naked. And that spot, unfortunately, has already been claimed by Nik. So, if you don't mind, I'd like to get dressed now." I gesture for him to get out and shakes his head at me before leaving.

__________________________

   After I got dressed, I headed to the kitchen for a drink. As I pass the dining room I hear Elijah and Nik's voices. Elijah clearly didn't approve of mine and Nik's outing last night.

   "You took her on a witch hunt?" Elijah drills.

   "I simply wanted to persuade those witches to locate the white oak stake for me." Nik responds sounding unbothered. "When they proved unable to do so, I let Kelsey have her fun."

   "She grows more savage by the day." Elijah stresses, trying to get Nik to see his side. I just roll my eyes. "Can you not see that she is falling apart?"

   "Perhaps the problem is your high standards." Nik points out. "Kelsey is one of us now. Being a vampire only exaggerates what you truly are and wolves are wild things. Your judgment will only annoy her more."

   "I am trying to help her, and I asked you to help her, brother." Elijah says making me quietly scoff. I'm not his responsibility and it's not his nor Nik's place to try and fix me.

   "I am helping." Nik counters frustrated followed by a bang. I have no idea what since I can't see them. "You should have seen her last night covered in witches' blood and smiling from ear to ear. She is embracing this, and less criticism from you, and Kelsey'll be just fine." Nik finishes coming to my defense. Although, for the first time since I lost my babies a small wave of guilt waves over me. Just for a millisecond, before I push it away completely.

   "Niklaus, the mother of your children deserves much better than just fine." Elijah raises his voice. "You'll take her to the Bayou. Find any remaining wolves. Perhaps her people can reach her. Now more than ever, she needs a connection to some of her humanity, some degree of dignity." I roll my eyes again, before hiding behind a wall as he exits the room.

   When, he's gone I enter the dining room with folded arms. Nik stands at the end of the table with raised eyebrows at my appearance.

   "How much of that did you hear?" He asks smirking.

   "All of it." I shrug. "Your mightier than thou brother seems to be under the impression that I'm his problem."

   "He wants to help."

   "I don't need help." I deny. "I'm fine. He should stick to Hayley. Besides, doesn't he realize that 'my people' aren't the wolves, technically." I add using air quotations. "I've done my best to distance myself from them since I got here, unless Hayley needs me. My people are the twins, Hayley, Davina, Marcel, and Cami outside of this family. And I'd prefer to keep Davina and Cami out of this mess and away from me."

   "Yes, well, do you fancy a trip to the Bayou, like Elijah suggested?" Nik smirks.

   "Depends." I reply. "Are you going to micromanage me?"

   "If I attempted, would it work?" He raises his eyebrows, still smirking.

   "Doubtful." I shrug.

   "Then why waste the energy." He chuckles.

   "Good." I confirm. "Then, we are on the same page. Let's find some werewolves."

____________________________

   When we arrived at the Bayou, where the cabin is, there isn't a person or wolf in sight. Disregarded household items littered the ground. Tables and chairs knocked over and thrown wherever. Trash is everywhere. It doesn't look like anyone has been here for months. 

   "Hayley did say this place was deserted." I shrug.

   "No." Nik denies. "Their scent is fresh. They're hiding, which means somewhere nearby, we will find the remnants of your pack."

   "Hayley's pack." I mutter lowly crossing my arms. Speaking louder, I say "And then what? It's unlikely they'd welcome us. There is one thing they hate more than vampires and that's hybrids."

   "What they hate is their lack of power, hence the willingness of their brethren to deal with that witch in exchange for rings, but she hasn't gotten to your lot yet." He counters. "So we need to get to them first and ensure they align with us."

   "Great." I roll my eyes sarcastically. "Now we just have to find them."

   "A task I leave to you." Nik says making me raise my eyebrows. "Well, go on. You're a hybrid now with heightened senses unlike anything under the sun besides me."

   I roll my eyes at him again and huff. Taking a deep breath and slowly releasing it, I close my eyes. I don't hear anything besides the breeze hitting the trees. "This is dumb." I state.

   "Your people need a leader." Nik says as I start to walk off.

   "They need Hayley." I tell him. "I know nothing about them. Hayley is they're queen. I'm a stranger to them, besides if you haven't noticed I'm a disaster. I cry 24/7. I kill people for food. All I can focus on is how much I miss the twins."

   "Do you think you're alone in that pain?" Nik asks walking closer.

   "Of course not." I scoff.

   "When it pains me, I seek comfort in the idea of what I will do to those who would harm them." He stresses. Then, he stretches his arm out towards an abandoned jacket.

   I reach over and grab it's sleeve with a sigh. Bringing the sleeve up to my nose, I deeply breath in the scent. Campfire and oak mixed with a small trace of musk.

   "Concentrate." Nik instructs.

   I pull away from the jacket and smell the air. I turn my head in the direction the scent is strongest. Then, without saying anything to Niklaus I start walking.

__________________

   We follow the scent until we find the group of wolves. I immediately call Hayley, against Nik's request. However, when it comes to the wolves, Hayley is more likely to get them on our side than me. I just need to be by her side and back up anything she says. It's the most likely way they will listen. They won't trust someone who has denied them since Hayley and I found them.

   "Hey." Hayley says approaching us. "I can't believe you found them."

   "Nik's a good teacher." I shrug as he smirks. "They're not going to listen to me. You're our best chance."

   "Okay." She nods understandingly.

   "Jackson has like vanished or something and Oliver apparently thinks he is alpha." I roll my eyes, giving her the rundown.

   "I don't think they're going to listen to me either." Hayley says staring at them as they pack.

   "The crescent mark on you guys shoulders did not disappear when you both became hybrids." Nik encourages. "Go on. Talk to them."

   Hayley starts walking towards them and I follow, keeping close to her right shoulder. Nik trails behind. As they begin to notice our arrival some retreat farther away from us. Oliver advances forward to speak for the pack.

   "What the hell do you three want?" He inquires with his hands on his hips.

   "Hold your tongue, or I'll tear it from your gaping mouth." Nik threatens.

   "We didn't come here to fight, Oliver." Hayley interjects before things escalate. "Our pack has been divided by people that want us to be their slaves. What we need right now is a leader, someone who will reunite us and make us strong again, someone who will fight for our pack. If you let me, I can be that person."

   "You think we can trust you?" Oliver snaps. "You're not one of us. Hell, you're not even a wolf. You're both bloodsucking vampire parasites."

   "Trust goes both ways, you coward." I bite at him before Nik can intervene. "You really don't want to start pointing fingers, because there's about ten pointing back at you."

   "Want to say that again and see what happens, Oliver?" Hayley says stepping towards him.

   "Tough girl." He taunts with a smirk. "You gonna attack me in front of all them? You'll just give them another reason to say yes to Cassie and her moonlight rings." Hayley's face turns to one of disbelief, along with mine. "Yeah. They would rather follow a witch than you two. Me, hell, I would rather die than follow you guys."

   Before anything else can be said, Nik vamps forward hitting Oliver in the face. Oliver's back meets the ground and Nik pins him with his foot on his throat. The wolves gasp and fear crosses their faces. "Well, we shouldn't drag this out."

   "Let him go, Klaus." Hayley demands.

   "Nik." I say sternly.

   "You both need to learn about the art of politics, love." He replies glancing at me. "You gain support by killing your detractors." He presses his foot down causing Oliver to gasp for air.

   "They may not like us very much but these people, including Oliver, are our family." Hayley tell him aggressively. "Let him go now."

   When, he doesn't budge I grab his forearm and tug him off Oliver. I turn and look at the people watching the scene unfold.

   "She's your queen." I announce. "She's strong and fearless, even merciful, which is more than I can say about him." I gesture towards Nik, who smirks in response.

   Oliver stays on the ground, catching his breath.

   "These people need to show you more respect." Nik tells Hayley. "How you handle them now is up to you." He adds before turning and walking away.

   "Where are you going?" Hayley asks him.

   "I'm going to find the witch. Seems I need to educate her as to what she may or may not do in my city." Nik explains before disappearing into the trees.

   "Good luck." I salute her.

   "Wait." She says. "You're not staying?"

   "You're their queen." I assure her. "I'm just your back up. Besides, he may need help more than you right now." I joke with a forced smile. "You got this. Call me if you need me." I give her a quick hug and then run to catch up with Nik.

______________________

   Nik and I make it to the cemetery after night has fallen. Fog coats the ground and raises up to our knees. Niklaus leads the way and I follow after him.

   "You should have stayed with Hayley." He says after a long period of silence.

   "Hayley will do what needs to be done to get the wolves on our side." I shrug. "Me being there would be pointless. Besides I'd much rather watch you strong arm a witch." I smirk wagging my eyebrows.

   He chuckles at me, before spreading his arms out. "What happened to decorum?" He inquires loudly to get the witch's attention as we continue to walk aimlessly. "Does no one greet their guest anymore?"

   We turn a counter and dozens of werewolves come out of hiding and surround us. Nik discreetly reaches for my wrist and pulls me closer, just in case they become hostile. However, the grin of amusement never leaves his face.

   "Well, that's more like it, although I am rather disappointed at how many of my once formidable brethren have been neutered by a sixteen-year-old girl." Nik taunts loudly. "Where is she?" His voice turns serious. "Where is this witch who dares craft moonlight rings without my permission?"

   The crowd in front of us parts the allow a young girl with a pixie cut and a flower dress to walk through. "Niklaus." She greets making me pinch my eyebrows together. Her calling him by his full name sends warning chills down my spine. "I've been expecting you."

_______________________

   The witch, Cassie, leads us into a mausoleum so we could have a private conversation. Although, she was reluctant in allowing me to join. Nik, however, refused to leave me with the wolves that are under her control. Candles littered the concrete building, providing light as Cassie pour three cups of tea.

   "I must offer my condolences on the tragic loss of your child." Cassie says looking at Nik and sending me a glance over his shoulder. I bite my tongue and stay behind Nik, allowing him to handle this.

   "Wasn't it your coven who threatened her life?" Nik inquires. "Is that tea your idea of a piece offering?"

   "Chamomile has lots of healing properties." Cassie says giving a cup to me and Nik, before sitting down across from him. I quietly put the cup on a ledge, not trusting anything that comes from her. "Did you know that it's also a flowering plant?"

   "I did." Nik confirms. "The plants grew wild near my boyhood home, but neither the tea nor your botanical musings explain the reason why you've taken it upon yourself to forge new moonlight rings."

   "I assumed it was obvious." Cassie replies nonchalantly. "An alliance between the wolves and the witches would restore balance to our home."

   "That's a lofty goal for a teenage girl." Niklaus says as Cassie take a sip from her cup.

   "Long ago, the witches and the wolves were at peace." Cassie explains. "Then came the vampires, a plague made flesh, a curse on this earth. You have no humanity, and so you punish those who do." I roll my eye and quietly scoff folding my arms." Witches have a coven, werewolves have a pack, and so we are a constant reminder of everything that you have forsaken. Creatures such as you will always hate the living, and so we will always have to defend ourselves. The rings level the playing field. If we are united, nothing can stand against us."

   "It's an ambitious strategy." Nik says leaning forward. "But allow me to offer a few words of advice, if I may be so bold. New Orleans is a vicious place, and your enemies are everywhere... Behind your back, before you eyes. You will need to remain vigilant against those who would seek to destroy you, some of who you may never see coming."

   "I've already begun to take precautions." Cassie counters unfazed. "In fact, I'm taking them as we speak." I narrow my eyes at her, as she looks at me. "Maybe you should call Davina."

   "What are you talking about?" I snap pulling out my phone and doing as she says.

   "Voicemail." I state. "What did you do?" I growl taking a couple steps forward.

   "I'll give you a hint." Cassie smirks. "Rousseau's."

   "Go." Nik tells me keeping his eyes trained on Cassie. I immediately vamp out of there.

_______________________

   I don't hesitate to enter Rousseau's when I get there. Dead werewolves lay on the ground. However, what really surprises me is Mikael standing in front of me. Alive. I don't harp on it though, because his hands are holding Davina still as his gets ready to drain her of her blood. I grab his shoulder and use all my strength to throw him across the room and into a wall. Elijah appears and stands next to me in front of Davina, where she lays on the ground, having fallen over once Mikael released her.

   "Father." Elijah state in disbelief, as I flash my ember eyes.

   "Hello, son." Mikael says, blood covering his face. "I'd hoped to see your brother first, but we have some unfinished business, as well."

   Elijah swings at Mikael, but he dodges it and throw Elijah into the bar. Mikael pulls out the white oak stake and pins Elijah down, so he can stab him in the heart. Elijah struggles against him. Marcel appears at Davina's side, where she still is on the floor.

   "We're getting out of here." Marcel says and I nod in agreement.

   "No, Marcel. I need my bracelet." Davina says. I look around on the floor and see it by the head of a dead man. Mikael slowly pierces the stake into Elijah, as Elijah continues to try and push him away. "I can use it to control him." I quickly grab it and pass it to her. As soon as it's in her hand, Mikael senses it and leaves Elijah, vamp speeding at Davina with the stake raised. "Stop!" She demands holding the bracelet out. Mikael immediately comes to a halt, but struggles to break free. "Go back now." She orders and just like that Mikael's gone. Davina shakes her head at Marcel and walks out of Rousseau's.

   "Davina!" I call after her, but she ignores me.

   A boy with curly hair stands up from behind the bar, in shock of what he just witnessed. 

   "Something to say?" Elijah questions him.

   "Not me, mate." He denies. "Not a bloody thing."

_____________________

   Elijah and I went back to the Compound to wait for Niklaus. When he arrived he was just as enraged with the witches as I am. Cassie is acting way to big for her britches and sending wolves after my sister would typically get her killed, if I knew more about her. However, it's clear she is hiding someone that makes me hesitate to retaliate.

   "It is worse than we thought." Nik spits out at Elijah. However, Elijah seems deeper in thought with his arms crossed simultaneously listening to Nik. I hadn't told Elijah anything about what happened before I arrived at Rousseau's. I allowed Niklaus to catch him up as I sat at the table quietly. "Kelsey and I met the witch... Cassie." Elijah turns to Nik, giving him his full attention. "I studied her, her presence, the way she carried herself, the fervor with which she voiced her hatred of our kind. I looked into that girl's eyes, and I swear to you Elijah, she is not just guided by our mother. She is our mother." Elijah places his hand on his forehead and crosses the room.

   "Are you fucking serious?" I say annoyed. "I knew there was something shady about her, but this is insane."

   "What is happening?" Elijah says to himself more than to us.

   "I'm going to kill her." Nik tells us. "I will boil her bones and feed them to the dogs if that's what it takes."

   "Niklaus." Elijah says gaining his attention.

   "What?!" Nik exclaims. "What could possibly be more important than the return of our mother?"

   "Your father." I mutter loud enough for them both to hear me. Niklaus looks at me in disbelief as the color drains from his face and then he turns back to Elijah. 

   "Yes." Elijah confirms. "I saw him standing there in the flesh as you do now. He was enslaved with some spell cast by Davina." Nik glances at me and I shrug. "He holds the stake. If she chooses to release him..."

   "She won't." I say strongly. "Look I don't know what is going through her head. But, I do know she has been through a lot of emotional damage this past year and a half. She probably thinks Mikael is her way out or a way to revenge for Tim. However, in order for the spell to work she would have had to have spent some time with Mikael to keep him locked away. I saw how she was when we got to Rousseau's and she didn't have the bracelet she needs to keep his leash, she was scared. Which, means she knows how dangerous he is, so she won't intentionally release him."

   Nik nods in acknowledgement and looks at Elijah with determination. "Well, then there's only one question we need to ask, isn't there?" Nik inquires rhetorically while stepping forward in Elijah's direction with an intense gaze. "Which of our parents do we kill first?" I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

    Relief flooded my body when he didn't add Davina to the kill list, even though I know that her life is still at risk. Especially, if she attempts to aid Mikael farther.

   My ears perk up when I hear new people entering the Compound. Nik and I share a look of confusion, before standing and walking out to the Courtyard, where Hayley is directing some of the crescent wolves on where they can put their things.

   "Are we running a kennel now?" Nik asks as we meet Hayley half way. I nudge his arm at his comment and hug Hayley hello.

   "I'll handle them." Hayley tells him as I notice Elijah watching the interaction from the second floor.

   "Our family is under siege. It is not the time for guests." 

   "If they're not with us, they're with the witches." Hayley counters. "You asked me to step up. This is me stepping up."

   "And I'll help her in anyway she needs." I assure him. "Just like before my life went to hell."

   "Well, it seems I'm a good influence on you both after all." Nik smirks.

   "You know what Hayley, I don't think there is room here for the wolves after all." I deny with a smirk. "I seems the Compound is already over flowing with his ego. I don't know how much more these walls can take."

   Hayley folds her arms as Niklaus raises his eyebrows and chuckles. "You know, you're right." She agrees. "Maybe we could rent a new place to catch the overflow."

   "You're both incredibly amusing." Nik smirks sarcastically.

   "Sarcasm." Hayley states. "I think you're rubbing off on him, Kelsey. Maybe she's the good influence." Nik shakes his head with a chuckle.

   "I don't see Oliver amongst them." Nik gestures to the wolves. "Am I to assume you finished him off?"

   "We made a deal." Hayley informs us. "He'll pledge his loyalty to Cassie, report back, and tell me everything that he learns."

   "Well done." Nik commends her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.7K 76 11
Cordelia Catapang decides it's time to discover the other half of herself. Born as a witch-werewolf, she grew up mostly grasping her witch side, and...
3.3K 33 8
a the originals fan fiction [ SEASON 1 ONWARDS ] - on hold The beginning of a legacy he never knew he had and a continuation of his bloodline • all r...
159K 4.2K 102
Elijah was in New Orleans trying to figure out who was conspiraing against Klaus when he learned some unfortunate news. Hayley was not the only one p...
829K 27.7K 158
When Danielle Saraphina Mikaelson received a call that her older brother got a werewolf pregnant, she didn't know that it could be possible but despi...