Week 2: Joseph's POV

"So, how come you didn't go back to finish the group date?" Easton questions as he walks up to me beside the window.

I glance at him. I haven't decided whether I can trust him yet or not, but I feel comfortable having a decent conversation with him.

"Why don't you tell all of us? What's the point of secrets around here?" Wyatt adds walking up to us.

I glare at him and notice that most of the guys are scattered around the living room waiting for my answer. There is something about Wyatt that makes me suspicious; I don't trust him. I go around him to escape all the wandering eyes and curious minds.

"I doubt he's anyone to worry about," Kade says as I walk by.

"Says the guy who hasn't spent any time with Adelaide," I mutter and continue on my way to my room.

I collapse onto my bed and sigh. Tonight has been the longest night I have socialized in a long time, especially with a woman. Adelaide makes me want to open up, and I think as long as she keeps me here, I will try. I don't know if I'm the man that Adelaide is meant to be with or even choose, but I know that most of us probably don't deserve her.

The nice ones like Oliver, Noah, Liam, and Gabriel aren't what she needs in a relationship. She needs someone who is kind, but also has a backbone and can have fun with. Nolan and Micah have a lot going for them right now, and I don't know if they are ready to settle down for a relationship. Rowan seems odd. I can't tell whether some of the guys are here for the right reasons or not.

I roll over onto my back and rub my face. I shouldn't be so judgmental because most people judge me, and it's not fun being judged. Whether people get to know me or not, I still end up being judged. My mom left me at the hospital, and my father calls me a disgrace.

The only person I rely on or open up to is God. He's the only one who will never leave me or forsake me. He has plans and a future for me. I focus on His promises and ignore the world.

Addie seems different though. So far, she hasn't judged me. She actually wants to get to know me. It's hard fighting against the world when you feel alone. I know I need to work through all the hurt and disappointments I've faced before I enter a relationship, but I want to get to know Addie. I need to tell her how I feel.

There's a knock on my door, and I glance questioningly at my door. "Come in," I say.

Noah pops his head in. "You feel up for some company?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Uh, sure?" Dallas, Bennett, and Noah enter my room and make themselves at home. "Did you guys need something?"

"We felt bad for not connecting with you sooner," Bennett says.

"Yeah, we wanted to make friends," Dallas adds. "This doesn't have to be just a competition."

"I don't like that some of the guys seem to view Adelaide as an object," I say.

Dallas smiles sadly. "She deserves better."

Noah nods in agreement.

We talk for an hour or so before the guys exit my rooms to go to their own, and I am left alone. I turn off the lights and stare out the window. I gaze at the stars and eventually fall asleep.

"Prince," someone whispers.

I spin around attempting to locate the voice. My heart beats hard and fast. No one has called me by my first name in years.

"Oh Princy," someone giggles. I can hear the smile in her voice, and I squint at the figure in the distance.

"You are so handsome now, Princy." She slowly creeps up to me.

"Who are you?" I question the woman.

She giggles and runs her hand along my jawline. "I'm your past silly."

I try to move away from her, but her hand closes around my throat. She squeezes, and I gasp for air. She grins as I try to pry her hand away from my throat. "Just wait until Adelaide finds out," she whispers in my ear before letting go.

I shoot up into a sitting position gasping for air. I close my eyes while trying to reassure myself that it was just a dream. After a few minutes, I grab my phone to check the time. Four AM. I decide to take a shower and read the Bible before leaving my room.

I head up to the kitchen, and I make a pot of coffee. I sit on the porch while the coffee is brewing to soak in the crisp morning air. I am sipping on my first cup of coffee and sitting at the island when Bennett strolls in the kitchen.

"You're up early," Bennett greets.

I nod. "I thought I'd get first dibs for food instead of getting left overs, making my own, or going and buying some."

A few moments of silence pass before Bennett washes his hands. "What would you like for breakfast this morning?"

I glance at Bennett. "Don't you have a menu planned out for the day?"

He shrugs before pouring himself a cup of coffee.

"Here's your pancakes, sweetheart." My grandmother kisses my head. "Slow down," she laughs as I stuff my face with her delicious pancakes.

"Pancakes," I say under my breath.

"What?" Bennett asks.

I swallow the lump in my throat and a few moments before answering. "I haven't had pancakes in a while."

"Pancakes, it is," Bennett smiles.