Week 4: Elimination

I wake up in a startle and glance around me. My heart races, but the nurse in front of me smiles softly. "Your grandfather is awake."

Relief washes over me, and I patiently wait for the nurse to do her job before sitting on the edge of his bed.

Last night I drove to the hospital and arrived close to midnight. I tried to reassure Two-Mama as best as I could. She explained that he fell in the kitchen and hit his head. It knocked him out cold and it wouldn't stop bleeding. When I had gotten here, they were in the process of stitching up his head and he hadn't woken up. I told Two-Mama to go home and get some rest after the doctor told us that he would be fine, but wanted to keep him until he woke up and to make sure nothing else was injured internally or externally.

"Good morning, Poppa."

He tilts his head over to me and grabs my hand. "I must be in big trouble if you're here."

I bite back the tears that spring to the surface and pray my eyes aren't red. I smile and kiss his forehead softly. "Just wait until your wife gets here."

He smiles softly and closes his eyes. I rub my thumb over his knuckles and try to pause the moment so I won't forget it.

Two-Mama arrived not too long afterwards. As soon as she walked in the room and saw him, a look of pure love and joy washed over her. I let go of Poppa's hand so she could take my place, but she took hold of both my hands. "Go home and check in with who you need to. They are probably worried about you. I talked to the doctor before I came in and Poppa will probably be released today. I will call you when I find out when."

I nod. "Thank you, Two-Mama. I'll be back later. If you need anything call me."

I cool air hits my skin and I shiver. I unlock my car and sit in the driver's seat. The sky is filled with clouds, but the sun is trying to peak through. I set my phone on the stand on my dash and facetime Victoria. I buckle up and begin to drive to McDonald's for a coffee. I'm not huge on coffee, but I'm running on a few hours of sleep and need something.

"What happened?" Victoria asks.

"My grandfather is in the hospital. He fell and hit his head. He was unconscious and/or asleep until this morning, but he went right back to sleep."

"I'm sorry to hear that. Do you need a week off?" She questions.

I shake my head. "I don't think so, but thank you for the offer. I should be back tomorrow or the day after. I will call or facetime the guys and tell them what happened."

"Speaking of the guys," she trails off. "There is something you should know."

"Okay, let me order my coffee and then you can tell me." She nods and I quickly order. "I'm ready," I say as I try to find the exact change.

"Reed, Micah, and Nolan left this morning. All of the guys are tense and worried."

I stay silent, but thank the lady who hands me my coffee. "I may have given Reed permission to leave, but I'll try to sort everything out."

"If you eliminate anyone, make sure I'm on facetime or call me."

"Okay. I'll talk to you later."

I sit on my grandparents couch and facetime the guys on my laptop. I sip my coffee as they agree to the facetime. Within a minute or two, they are all there.

"I know you all want to know where I am and why I left. I had a family emergency, but I will be back in a couple of days. Reed, Micah, and Nolan did you guys leave?"

"Yes," each of them reply.

"Why did you guys leave?"

"Reed said you gave him permission to," Nolan says. "I didn't think that was fair to only give him a free pass, so I left too."

"Everything was just crazy and up in the air." Micah adds.

"So, when life gets crazy and unfair and problems come up you guys are just going to run?" I question.

"No, you are viewing this the wrong way. We didn't do anything wrong," Reed begins.

I raise my eyebrows and set down my coffee. "Did any of you have a legit reason to leave? For example, a family emergency." Micah and Nolan say no, but then go on to say how their careers are starting off. Reed sits back with his arms crossed. "Reed, did your dad honestly need you today?" He ignores my question and I add Victoria to the facetime. When she pops up, she already knows what is about to happen. "Reed, Nolan, and Micah don't bother coming back because you three are eliminated. If anyone else voluntarily goes home, you will be eliminated also unless there is a valid reason such as a family emergency. As for the rest of you, try to relax and get some sleep. I will be back tomorrow or the day after." I end the call and shut off my laptop.

I know I need to eat, but I feel numb and drained. For a few minutes, I just sit and stare at the wall. I jump when my phone rings. I answer it after seeing who it was. I stay silent and wait for him to begin talking.

"Hey, I have you on speaker phone. We just wanted to make sure you were okay." Joseph says and a lump builds in my throat.

I close my eyes. "I'm not okay. I'm really overwhelmed with all events that have happened from yesterday and today. I need you guys to do something."

"We'll do anything," Bennett replies.

"Don't let me push any of you away."