Week 7: River Day

"Welcome back," my poppa greets us and gives me a side hug.

"Thanks for having us," Reece responds, and Dallas nods.

Two-Mama smiles at us and motions us all inside. "Get in here! Breakfast is almost ready. It will be a busy day." All three of us rush inside as my grandparents snicker at our competitiveness. "Will one of you get the biscuits out of the oven? I'm not as fast as you youngsters."

Dallas puts on an oven mitt before pulling the pan of biscuits out of the oven. "What would you all like to drink?" I question as I open the fridge to get the milk.

"Coffee," Dallas answers.

"I'll have milk. I'll pour the milk if you want," Reece responds and comes over to me.

"Okay, thanks." I hand him the milk jug. "Cups are in that cabinet." I point to the correct cabinet and grab the jug of orange juice before closing the door to the refrigerator.

"Well, look here. I think we've got ourselves a bunch of busy bees. We might get to relax today." Two Mama says as they enter the kitchen.

Poppa chuckles, "I think you mean that we are going to be worn out by the end of today."

"What's the plan for today?" Two Mama questions as she scrambles eggs.

Most eyes look to me, and I shrug.

"Is there anything you would like us to do?" Reece questions.

"I would like to take the boat and go fishing, but the lawn needs cut," Poppa says.

"My car, your truck, and the boat will need washed after the lawn is cut and you take the boat out," Two Mama adds.

"I've wanted to take the kayaks out too." I pause and tap my fingers. "What if you two get an early start on fishing after breakfast, we stay to cut the grass and wash your car, and then meet you when we finish?" I suggest and glance at everyone.

"Sounds like a good plan," Reece says.

Dallas nods. "It would give us time to get things done while you all get there and everything set up."

"Will you make and bring us some lunch?" Two Mama questions, and I nod. She grins. "Well, let's say the prayer so we can eat and get this plan in motion."

We smile and bow our heads. "Dear gracious and loving Father, we thank You for today. We thank You for this plan, but we ask You to guide our steps and protect us. I thank You for this time that I have with my family. I ask that You would help us to love You and others more every day. Bless this food to the nourishment of our bodies and bless my lovely wife for preparing it. I ask that You would bless my dearest granddaughter and two young me. Help them to be who You would have them to be. I ask that You would grant them wisdom all the days of their lives. Amen." Poppa says, and we echo "amen."

After breakfast, I help Poppa load up the truck while the guys start on the lawn. Two-Mama puts what food is left from breakfast away. I glance over at Poppa after loading his tackle boxes into the back of his truck, and he is watching me.

"What?" I question and lean against his truck.

He smiles softly. "You just look so much like your parents now that you are all grown up. They would be so proud of you for doing this."

I blink back tears that surface and nod. "Thanks, Poppa."

He pats my arm before getting in the truck. Two-Mama hurries into the garage with a big bag, and I quickly take the bag for her. "I'll put it in the truck for you. Poppa's ready to go."

She nods. "You all be careful and do not get into trouble."

"You know me," I grin, and she waves her finger at me as a warning. I wait for them to pull away before getting started on washing Two-Mama's car.

After I wash Two-Mama's car, I go inside to start making lunch while the guys finish the lawn. I pause in the living room as I lock eyes with a certain photo album. Poppa's words echo through my mind, and I find myself gently pulling the album from the shelf. I gently trace my fingers over the title on the cover. I set the book down and stand up when the back door creaks open and closes with a bang. I step closer to the door to find Dallas hovering in the doorway.

"I uh just want some water, but I probably shouldn't come in with all this grass on me." He states and gestures to himself.

"Two-Mama would throw a fit if we got grass stains on her carpet," I say and head into the kitchen.

Dallas nods. "Will you get Reece some water too? I'll take it to him. How's your work coming along?"

"Yeah, I will. I finished washing her car. I just have to make some lunch for us." I answer and hand him two cold water bottles. "How's the lawn?"

"The front lawn is done, and the back yard still has probably another hour or so of work to be done," he shrugs. "Thanks for the water."

"No problem," I smile softly.

Dallas gazes at me for a few moments. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," I smile convincingly at him.

"Okay," he says and heads back outside.

I drop the fake smile and begin working on lunch.