Week 8: Meeting his parents (part 2)

The tense and awkward atmosphere sets me on edge. Riley did not like me; Reece did not like her boyfriend. I tried to keep my head down and only make limited eye contact with Reece's parents when they spoke to me. At first, Evelyn spent the time trying to create civil conversation, but most of the time she was met with silence.

Lawrence sighed after another attempt of his wife trying to spark an interest for us to take part in the conversation. "They aren't going to talk. Let them be."

When he was met by silence, I looked up at them. She met him with a fierce gaze. "No. I refuse to be embarrassed by our children acting this way in front of two guests." She turned to Reece and Riley, and she glanced between them. "You two are grown adults. You better start acting like it or you both can go to your rooms, and I will enjoy the rest of my meal while getting to know our guests. I have taught you both godly ways. You both should know better than to judge someone without getting to know them."

"She took Reece away from us for two months!" Riley exclaims.

"She didn't take me! It was my choice. She had no idea who would be there until we showed up." Reece replies defensively. "She struggled with each elimination there was and prayed about it before she made her final decision."

"You never contacted me for two months. We are twins, Reece."

"You never contacted me either, Riley."

"Does everyone feel better now?" Evelyn questions. Riley shrugs and the rest of us stay silent. "Okay. Here's what we are going to do. Tomorrow, we three girls are going on a shopping trip as an apology to Adelaide while you three men are going to do something together."

"Mom!" The twins groan.

"Don't 'Mom' me," she mocks.

"Fine, what are we going to do?" Reece questions his dad.

"Paintball."

After dinner, we each go our different ways after we help clean up everything. Evelyn and Lawrence go to watch TV in the living room. Riley and Zion leave. Reece and I go back to the backyard. We head to the hammock, but he stops me before I can sit down.

He wraps his arms around me, and I do the same to him. I relax into him and feel better than I had most of the day. "I'm sorry. I should have mentioned that my sister and I can be intense sometimes."

I sigh. "It's okay. I just don't want to talk about it right now."

He rubs my back comfortingly. "Too bad you have to go shopping with Mom and Riley, at least I get to shoot at Zion and not go to jail."

"Reece!" I exclaim and try to pull away, but he holds on to me tighter and laughs.

His laughter calms down, and he rests his head on mine. "I really am sorry about my sister."

"I know," I whisper.

"She'll warm up to you. She's just being protective."

"I could say the same to you about Zion," I reply and he groans.

This time it's my turn to laugh. I lean my head back and gaze into his eyes when I calm down. He smiles and hugs me tightly while spinning me around.

I giggle from his actions. "What?"

He sighs happily. "You're here with me." I give him a look to further explain himself, and he runs a hand through my hair. "All this is still new. If someone would have asked me the first day we met if I thought I would win, I would have said no. Now look at us. I know it won't always be easy, fun, and happy times, but I'm glad we are doing it together."

I smile and nod. "I was thinking about that earlier. I'm glad we are together. I don't know what our future has in store, but I know it will be a wild ride. The show may be over, but so many things are just beginning."

He smiles and presses his lips against mine.

THANK YOU ALL FOR STICKING AROUND FOR THE WHOLE BOOK. I KNOW THE LAST CHAPTER IS SHORT, BUT KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE NEXT BOOK. I THINK I AM GOING TO START ADVERTISING THIS BOOK ON TIC TOK SINCE IT IS COMPLETED. I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE ENJOYED IT. 

DO YOU HAVE ANY PREDICTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS FOR BOOK TWO?

I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A WONDERFUL SUNDAY (OR WHATEVER DAY YOU ARE READING THIS)!

LOVE, K