Week 3: Bowling with the Boys

Wyatt, Reece, Christian, and I clumber out of the car and enter the bowling alley. We get our shoes and go to our designated row. I begin to put my shoes on while the guys get the bowling ball they each want. I roll my eyes when they compete for whose weighs more.

"Do you want me to get yours for you?" Christian asks.

"Yes, please. I want the pinkish red one. I think it's a nine. I'll get our names on the board."

Once everyone has their balls, their shoes on, and the board set up we start our game. I put our names in alphabetical order for us to know who goes when. I pick up my ball and roll normally. I knock down eight with four left standing. The guys cheer me as I walk back and wait for my ball to come back.

"Do you want to use one of ours?"

I give Reece an incredulous look and they start laughing. "No! If I used one of yours, I would have to do a granny bowl."

"I'll do it!" Reece exclaims and I laugh as I walk towards the alley with my bowl in hand. I roll normally and get a spare.

Christian goes up to bowl as I sit down. During the game, Reece bowls in the craziest and funniest ways he can think of which has us laughing the entire time. Bowling with them is fun and light hearted. Christian ends up winning the game. Afterwards, we pick up Chickfila and head to my house. After Reece prays over the food and I open a packet of ketchup, my phone rings. I glance at it, and I excuse myself. I answer it and quickly go up to my room for some privacy.

"Adelaide!" My grandmother exclaims and slightly out of breath.

"What is it? What's wrong?" I question.

"You haven't called me today, little bird. I was getting worried." I can hear the sadness and worry in her voice.

"I'm sorry Two-Mama. I tried calling you this morning, but I didn't have time to leave a voicemail. What have you been up to today?" I sit down on my bed and put her on speakerphone. I text the guys and tell them I might be on the phone for an hour or so. I let them know that I want to spend time with them, but understand if they don't want to wait. After I text them, I take my phone off of speaker.

"The usual," she laughs. "Trying to keep up with your Poppa. He keeps trying to work around the house. I let him put out a small garden. When you come back, he wants to go fishing with you."

"You need a leash on him," I laugh. "Tell him I'm looking forward to our fishing trip."

"So, how's everything going with finding your future husband?" She questions.

I sigh and she giggles. "I'm done to about half. I definitely have some good connections with a few of them. I left three of them in the kitchen so I could talk to you."

"Well, God will send the right one your way at the right time."

I smile. "I love you, Two-Mama."

"I love you too, little bird. Call me in the morning. Goodnight."

"I will. Goodnight." I set my phone on my bed and head back downstairs. I enter the kitchen and only Reece is waiting for me with his head in his hands. "Are you okay?"

He lifts his head up and his usual smile is missing. "You told us that you don't want to know what goes on in our house, so I'll leave it as the tension is rising in between us."

I nod and sit down. "Thank you for being honest with me and choosing to wait on me. I was on the phone with my grandmother."

He smiles, "how is she?"

"She's good, just trying to make sure my grandfather doesn't get into trouble." I smile and start to eat my food.

He smiles. "You haven't mentioned your family before."

I nod and carefully chew my food before answering. "My grandparents mean a lot to me. I wouldn't want them to get hurt because I let my feeling take over and I overshare about my life before I truly trust someone. Does that make sense?"

He nods. I continue to eat while Reece talks, but I can tell there is something different about him. Is he nervous or upset? When he laughs or tells a joke, it doesn't reach his eyes. Once I finish eating, I throw my trash away and lean against the counter. "Reece?" He looks up at me from where he is sitting. "What's wrong?"

He looks shocked for a second and then confused. "How did you know something was wrong?"

"When you are your usual goofy self, your eyes light up. Especially, when you make someone else laugh or smile. I may not know what your favorite color is or what made you become the person you are today, but you've always showed me your true character." He stares at me for a few moments and stays silent. I walk over to him and pull him up from his chair. I wrap my arms around his midsection and lean my head against his shoulder. He sucks in a breath and tenses. "You needed a hug."

He gently wraps his arms around me and relaxes into me. "I didn't even think you noticed me," he whispers brokenly.

I pull back enough so I look him in the eyes. "Reece, why do think I hadn't noticed you?" He glances away, but I place my hand against his cheek so he looks back at me. "Why?"

"It's hard not to compare myself to the other guys."

"Maybe I'm doing something wrong because several other guys have left because of the same thing," I sigh.

Reece shakes his head. "No, it isn't your fault."

I lean my head against his shoulder again, and he rubs my back in soothing circles. "Reece, I want you here. Please, don't run away and give up before you have even had a chance. You give us a reason to smile- you give me a reason to smile."

"I really like you. I know we don't know a whole lot about each other, but you are so amazing and beautiful. You put God first before any of us and you are confident in who you are. I like you, Addie." There isn't an ounce of hesitation in his voice and I know he's telling me the truth.

I pull back again to see his face and shake my head. "I don't even know how to respond to that," I smile. "I will say that you have given me a renewed hope that I made the right decision to do this." I glance away from him. "Are you willing to wait to know how I feel?"

He nods. "I knew I would be waiting, but I had to take a risk."

"Thank you." I say and give him one last gentle squeeze before I let go of him.

"No problem. I guess I better get back to the house," he rubs the back of his neck.

"Okay. Thanks again for staying."

"You are very welcome, Addie. I'll see you later." He kisses my cheek before leaving and I walk up to my room.

I collapse on my bed. I did not expect Reece to admit his feelings for me first. I don't notice the smile on my face until I go into the bathroom to change into pajamas for the night.

JUST TO CLARIFY BECAUSE I MESSED UP ON A PREVIOUS CHAPTER: ADELAIDE ONLY HAS HER GRANDPARENTS LEFT AND IS AN ONLY CHILD. IN WEEK 2: POOL PARTY AFTERAFECTS, I HAD PUT THAT SHE HAD A SISTER, BUT SHE DOES NOT.

ANYWAY, THOUGHTS ON REECE??

DRAMA AND TENSION ARE CREEPING UP.... PREDICTIONS ON WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN OR WHO IT WILL BE WITH/ABOUT??

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

LOVE, K