Week 5: Ice cream with Joseph

I shiver as I sit down across from Joseph in the booth at the ice cream shop. "Are you not cold?" I question, and he shakes his head.

I take a bite of my peanut butter ice cream with chocolate drizzle and Reece's cups pieces. "Is it good?" He questions, and I nod.

"Is yours?" I reply. He nods. He got a vanilla ice cream with caramel drizzle and brownie bites.

For a few moments, we are both quiet and enjoy our ice creams. He sighs, and laughs nervously. "Can I be vulnerable and honest?"

I look up at him from my ice cream. "Yes, of course you can."

He swallows. "You don't deserve someone like me, someone with my kind of past. I have a lot to work through. I'm terrified and thrilled about all of this. Do you really like me?"

I smile, "yes."

He gazes at me for a few moments. "I have no idea why you do, but I like you too."

"Because you show me that you care and that you want this even though you are scared and don't know how to do this." I take a bite of ice cream. "I don't know what I'm doing either just so you know."

He smiles at me and finishes eating his ice cream. "I'm not ready to spill out my whole past with you today."

"That's okay, you can tell me what you are comfortable with, and I will do the same."

"Before I came here, I was alone. I had no friends and no family, but I had God. My grandparents raised me. I was really close to my grandmother. When she," he pauses and swallows. "You know, my grandfather and I didn't know how to function. At first, we leaned on each other. Then we went in different directions. I went to God, and he didn't. He was still lost, and he just wanted to be with her. He got what he wanted a few months later."

"Can I ask about your parents?" I question gently.

"My dad left my mom before I was born. My mom couldn't raise me on her own because she was more concerned about the guy she was with than about her own child," he answers. "What about yours?"

"We were in a car accident, and I was the only survivor."

"How old were you?" He asks.

"Seven," I answer. "How do you feel about visiting my grandparents tomorrow?"

He smiles. "Addie, I'm excited. Yes, I don't have either of mine anymore, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy other grandparents. I think that's why I liked Maddy and her husband so much at the diner because I can connect with them more."

I smile back at him.

"Can I hug you before we have to join the others?"

"Yes, we should probably go back."

He nods, and we walk out of the ice cream shop together. We stop walking when we are within sight of the arcade. He wraps his arms around me, and I do the same to him. I rest my head on his chest, and he rests his head on top of mine. "Addie, you are really special. Even if you don't pick me in the end, I'll be happy to have met you." He adds, "I'll be heartbroken, but I'll be okay."

Tears come to my eyes when he finishes speaking, and I hold on tighter to him. My heart hurts just thinking about breaking their hearts.

Joseph joins Reece in playing a game of air hokey. I look for the other guys to see what they are up to. I find Dallas and Bennett competing with each other on the racing game. I pass by the prize area, but back track because one of the guys looked familiar. I don't get the change to look closer at the familiar guy because someone else grabs my attention.

"Hey, Addie."

"Oh, hey, Zeke," I smile.

"Do you want to play a game?" He questions.

"Yeah, sure."

Zeke and I play a few games before Bennett comes and finds us. "Do you mind if I spend some time with Addie?"

"No, that's fine. Have fun," Zeke says and goes to another game.

"Hi," Bennett smiles and I smile back.

"Hi."

"Have you ever been able to win something from a claw machine?" He questions.

"Never," I say, and he holds his arm out for me.

I loop my arm in his, and we begin to walk toward the claw machine. "Well, not to brag, but I know a secret to winning every time."

"What's the secret?" I question.

"You have to be me," he says confidently. I burst out laughing, and he pretends to be offended. "Why are you laughing?"

I smile, "I've not seen this side of you before."

"So, you laughed at me? I see how it is," he pretends to wipe tears away. I give him a look, and he laughs this time. "I just wanted to make you smile and laugh."

I smile. "Thank you."

I placed the panda bear stuffed animal on my night stand before getting ready for bed.

Tomorrowwill be interesting, and I'm excited for who will survive Two-Mama. I know Ihave feelings for four of them, but if they can't get along with my grandparents,then they won't be staying. I can tell the guys are more intense andcompetitive among themselves. I have no clue how this week or the rest of theweeks to come will go.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF JOSEPH AND ADDIE OPENING UP? 

HOW DO YOU THINK THEM MEETING HER GRANDPARENTS WILL GO?

ENJOY YOUR WEEKEND! 

LOVE, K