Week 3: Darren's Date

I open the door and immediately lock eyes with Darren. A smile automatically grows on my face, especially when he grins back at me. "Hi," I say.

"Hello, Adelaide." His eyes look brighter in the sunlight and from the white button down that he is wearing. "Are you ready?"

I nod and shut the door behind me. He holds his arm out for me and leads me to the car. He opens the door for me and I carefully get in. I am wearing a light blue dress that comes slightly above my knee. Once I am seated, he shuts my door and comes around to the driver's side. He buckles his seatbelt and begins driving. "So, how have you been since the last time we talked?"

He chuckles. "I've been trying to be patient, but I'm good. The firehouse is still running and intact so that's good."

I smile. "Is that it? You don't seem like the type of guy to sit idle for days." He glances at me for a second with a look I can't decipher. "What?"

He shakes his head. "You're right. I've made some friends with a few of the guys. We hang out some, but I've started taking some time for me."

"What do you mean?"

"I exercise to stay in shape for when I go back to work," he trails off. He scratches the back of his neck nervously. "When I was working, I was a borderline workaholic. I didn't have a lot of time to spend with God and when I did I was so tired that I would just have time to sleep and eat in time to do it all over again. I prayed pretty often throughout the day, don't get me wrong, but I didn't spend quality time with God. Long story short, I've been spending quality time with God."

I silently thank God for Darren, and I put my hand over his right one resting on the console. He glances at me. "Thank you," I whisper.

"For what?" He replies before turning back to the road.

"Opening up to me whenever we are together."

"I trust you, Addie."

"Whoa," I breathe out as I gaze at the scenery around us. We are surrounded by trees, green plants, flowers, and a vintage stone pathway. "Do you think this was what the Garden of Eden was like?" I ask Darren.

He gazes down at me for a few moments before nodding. "Come on," Darren holds his hand out. "Your surprise is waiting."

In a gazebo, sets a table for two with fairy lights and candles all around. "You did this all for me?" I question him and he nods. I wrap my arms around Darren and he wraps his arms around me. "Thank you."

We walk up to the table and he pulls my chair out for me. We settle down and I sip my water. "I already ordered for us. I hope you like it."

"What did you order?"

"Apple cheddar chicken melts, mac and cheese, and mini peach pies with ice cream," he says.

I stare at him in unbelief for a few moments. "Are you secretly a chef and a mind reader?"

He laughs and shakes his head. "I'm good at ordering food and eating food. I'm the one who finds a way to burn water or blow up a microwave."

"It's a good thing you're a firefighter," I giggle.

He smiles at me for a few moments. "Would you like me to pray before we eat?" I nod.

After we finished eating, we began to walk through the garden again. We stumbled upon a small pond and sat on the edge of its small dock.

"Darren," I quietly say.

"Yes?" He replies and turns to me.

"You trust me, right?" I glance at him before looking back down at my hands.

"Of course." I stay silent and refuse to look at him. "Hey," he says softly and gently turns my face to him. "What's wrong?"

"I," I begin and take a deep breath. "I want to open up to you."

"You don't have to you, Addie."

"Darren, you are one of the most genuine guys here. You are one of the few that I have no doubts about why you are here and the intentions you have with me. I trust you. I can't promise that I'll tell you everything today, but I do want to start opening up to you."

He smiles at me. "I'm all ears."

I take a deep breath. "I have trust issues and it's because of the boyfriend I had. It was my first year of college. He was horrible. He cheated and lied. If you listed, the qualities of a bad boyfriend he probably exceeded the list. I was tired of waiting for a boyfriend and he was extremely charming. It wasn't so bad at first, but his true character came through. He tried every way he could think of without forcing me to be with him physically which is why he cheated. He caused me and my best friend to have a riff. She finally found out what was happening and helped me get out of the relationship.

"She helped me through my breakup and encouraged me to start going back to church. I had been raised in church, but had quit everything God related because of him. Anyway, slowly I built my relationship back up with God and my best friend."

He grabs my hand and squeezes gently. "Thank you for opening up to me."

I smile and squeeze his hand. "On a lighter note, I'm an only child, and was raised by my grandparents. I just finished college to be a nurse."

He smiles. "You'll be a great nurse."

"Thank you."

"You're an only child?"

"Yes, why?"

"You just seemed like you had a sister."

"Well, I did not expect you to be so romantic," I nudge his shoulder.

"Just call me Romeo," he says in an accent.

Weend the night in laughter.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH FOR 100 READS! I WORK REALLY HARD WITH THIS STORY AND TRULY ENJOY IT AT THE SAME TIME. YOUR SUPPORT MEANS SO MUCH TO ME. 

THOUGHTS ABOUT DARREN??

ANY DATES OR GROUP DATES THAT YOU WANT TO TAKE PLACE IN THE FUTURE?

HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

LOVE AND PRAYERS, K