Week 5: Visiting my grandparents

Two-Mama stands on the front porch outside with her hands on her hips. I walk up to her, and she hugs before telling me to go inside. "I'm going to talk to them for a minute. We will be inside in a minute. Your grandfather should be in the living room. If he is in the kitchen eating a cupcake, tell him to start praying."

I smile, and kiss her cheek before going inside. She's not holding back today. Good luck, guys. I don't bother checking the living room because my Poppa can't pass up the opportunity to eat Two-Mama's famous cupcakes. "You better start praying," I say when I enter the kitchen.

Poppa glances over at me with icing in his moustache. "I already have," he says and points to the box. "You can eat one." I happily grab one after giving him a hug. "So, how many guys do I have to beat up?"

"Up to six," I respond.

He sighs. "My wife will get 'em before I do."

I laugh and agree. After we finish eating our cupcake, I throw away the evidence just as Two-Mama and the guys walk in.

"Alright, three of you go with Mr. Lewis and the other three stay with me." Two-Mama orders and goes straight for the cupcake box. "You ate two while I was gone!"

"I did not!" Poppa exclaims and points at me.

"We each had one," I explain and smile. "They are still as good as they always have been." I get up and hug Two-Mama.

She sighs, "Well thank you, but Poppa doesn't need five cupcakes in one day."

"So, I can have six," he laughs and gestures for the guys to follow him. "Hurry before she gets me!" Poppa speed walks out of the kitchen and Dallas, Bennett, and Zeke rush after him.

"Little bird, can I talk to you for a minute?" Two-Mama asks and I say that she can. "Okay, will you boys get started on chopping the cabbage for coleslaw?"

"Yes ma'am," Joseph says.

Two-Mama smiles at Joseph before we exit the kitchen. We go sit on the couch in the living room. "I need more information on them." She whispers. "Is there any you are unsure about?"

"Zeke and I don't seem to have a connection other than good friends. He went with Poppa. He's the one with longer hair and is wearing darker clothes. Something happened yesterday, but I don't know if I'm making something out of nothing."

"Okay. What about the others?" She asks.

"Reece was the first one to admit he has feelings for me. He is the nervous one that stayed with you." I pause. "I think I like Dallas, Joseph, Bennett and Reece the most."

"There's one more." Two-Mama states.

I nod, and sigh. "This probably sounds awful, but I want you to put Darren through the wringer. He is very romantic and thoughtful, but he just seems too good."

Two-Mama smiles, "I want the best for you. They should all be put through the wringer. Who was the one who called me ma'am?"

"Joseph," I smile softly.

She nods with a smile. "If you want time with any of them, you can take the kayaks out." I thank her before we head back into the kitchen. Joseph closes the refrigerator when we walk in while Reece is chopping up the cabbage.

"Do you want us to make the coleslaw for you?" Joseph questions.

"Oh, yes. Thank you," Two-Mama smiles and sits down beside me.

"What's Poppa doing with the guys?" I ask.

"Fishing," she answers. "He has really wanted to go, and I don't trust him and his friend to go alone. I can trust the other guys, right?"

"Yes," I reply.

While the guys make the coleslaw, Two-Mama asks them questions and they converse back and forth. Once the coleslaw is done, she asks me to go check and see if Poppa and the others have caught any fish. The walk down to the river wasn't long and I watch Bennett reel in a fish as I get closer to them.

"How many have you caught so far?" I question Bennett as I walk up to him.

He glances at me with a grin. "This is the second one."

"He's a good fisherman," Poppa says from his chair. "He isn't though," he says and points to Zeke.

"I'm trying," Zeke mutters.

"Where's Dallas?" I question. Someone pokes my sides and I let out a girly squeal. Dallas laughs as I playfully smack him.

"You're slacking, Dallas." Bennett says as he tries to catch the fish as it flops on the grass. I laugh as Dallas attacks the fish like a cat or a professional wrestler.

"This group is amusing to say the least," Poppa says.

I walk over to him and lean down to give him a hug. "Do you mind if I fish for a few minutes?"

"Not at all," Poppa answers. "Catch a fish for Zeke."

I step into the house with a water trail following me.

"Oh my!" Two-Mama exclaims and immediately runs to get a towel for me.

"What happened?" Reece asks.

"I caught a fish," I smile and hold up the bucket of fish.

"Why do you always end up in the water when you go fishing?" Two-Mama questions, and I attempt to give her a hug. "Child, go change! I'll hug you when you are dry."

A few hours later, Two-Mama and I sneak back into the kitchen while the guys eat with Poppa on the back porch. "I can't see you with Zeke," she says as glances outside to where they are sitting.

"What about the others?" I question.

"Something is off about Darren. I still like Joseph," she smiles. "I can't tell a lot about Reece because he is still nervous around me. Dallas was very helpful and respectful, but he is also full of adventure. Bennett was nice."

"Just nice?"

She shrugs. "I would have to see you together."

"What does Poppa think?" I ask as she takes a sip of her coke.

"He agrees about Zeke. He said Darren and Joseph were tense because they seemed to be competing. He liked Reece because he thinks he is a younger version of him."

I smile and hug her. "Thank you."

Sherubs my back comfortingly. "You can bring them again any time. We needed thisjust as much as you did, little bird."