Week 3: Breakfast with Joseph

I turn to Joseph and open my mouth to ask him about his grandparents, but I don't get the chance.

"We're here," he says and parks the truck in front of a retro diner, Maddy's. We walk up to the diner after Joseph opens my car door. I follow Joseph to a table that is the furthest away from all the hustle and bustle. I sit across from him and an older lady walks up to with a grin and open arms.

"Prince Joseph! You're back!" Her gaze meets mine and she lets out a surprised gasp. "You brought a woman! You're growing up so fast!"

"Maddy, you've only known me a few weeks," Joseph mutters embarrassingly.

"Oh, hush. You are like the grandson I never had." She turns in the direction of the kitchen. "Herald, 2 stacks of pancakes!"

An older man pops his head in the open window between the kitchen and dining area. "I didn't hear a please!"

Maddy crosses her arms and huffs. "You stubborn old man, fix the pancakes please."

He smirks and gives her a salute. Maddy turns back to us.

"Herald, is as frustrating as the first day I met him, but I wouldn't trade him for any other man." She smiles. "What would you two like to drink? I hope you wanted pancakes, miss."

"Milk, please. Yes, pancakes sound great," I smile.

"Milk?" She questions Joseph and he nods.

Maddy walks away to go get our drinks and begins to bicker with Herald. I turn to Joseph and immediately lock eyes with him.

"I'm very anti-social with the guys. For the first two weeks, I would come here for breakfast most of the time. Noah is the first one that I kind of socialized with. Then a few of the other guys came along with him," He explains.

"Why don't you bring them here to eat one day?"

He shakes his head. "This is the only place I can be alone."

"You brought me here."

A slight blush rises on his cheeks and he clears his throat as Maddy sets our glasses of Milk in front of us. Maddy smiles knowingly. "You're pancakes will be out soon."

I gaze at Joseph and he does the same for a minute or so. "What?" He questions.

"You intrigue me." I look out the window to see it begin to pour the rain.

"You intrigue me too."

"Pancakes," Maddy says as she sets the plates in front of us. "Is there anything else I can get you two?"

I shake my head and so does Joseph. Maddy leaves and Joseph prays over the food before we start eating. Once we finish eating, Maddy takes our plates and gives us another refill.

"Go ahead and ask. I know you've been waiting," Joseph sighs.

I stare at him for a moment and keep a serious face. "Do you like Rom-Coms?" His jaw drops open and I'm not sure if it is in surprise or horror. I burst out laughing and he shakes his head with a scowl. "Oh come on! That was funny." He keeps a straight face and I pout. He gazes at me for a few moments and a ghost of a smile graces his features. "Yes!" I shout and jump out of the booth. "Come on," I say and start walking out toward Maddy.

Joseph scrambles to catch up with me. After he insists to pay for both of us and does, we get back in the truck. I gaze at the bright sky. Thank you for the sunshine. "The rain didn't last long."

The drive back to my house is filled with soft music playing on the radio. He parks in front of my house and shuts the engine off. He opens my door after getting out of the truck and walks me up to my front door. "Hey Joseph," I begin and he looks at me. "Thanks for coming over here and asking me to eat breakfast with you. It's nice to be chosen for once."

"No one else has done that?" He questions.

"Bennett brought me pizza one time, but he told me that he was going to and it was after a group date." I explain. "Why does that surprise you?"

He shakes his head and I raise my eyebrow. He sighs and stuffs his hands in his front pockets. "Let's just say someone has been lying about how much time they spend with you."

"Who?" I question, but Joseph stays silent. "Fine. If I guess, will you tell me? I'll only make two guesses."

"Okay," he agrees.

"Christian?" I ask, and he shakes his head. "Wyatt?" I try again, and he nods. I close my eyes and shake my head.

"Why were they your guesses?" Joseph questions.

"They left the group date with no explanation or goodbye which I did say that they could leave because I had to answer a phone call."

"Was it your grandmother?"

I glance up at him. "Yeah," I say with a small smile. I sigh and glance at the time on my phone. "Well thank you again. I've got to go and get ready for my meeting."

He nods and glances down at the ground. "Thanks for coming with me. Maybe I'll ask again soon."

"I'd like that," I smile. "See you later, Joseph."

"Adelaide, will you give us any insider information? Do you know who you are going to eliminate for week 3? Do you have any favorites of the group?" An interview lady questions me rapidly.

"With all due respect, you will have to wait to find out. The eliminations get harder and harder each week. Victoria does a great job spicing things up and making it easier on me." I respond.

"Do you regret any of the eliminations you have made thus far?"

"No," I shake my head.

"Did you know that some of the men left in the group are not Christians? How do you feel about having a future with a non-Christian?"

What? There are? I glance at Victoria and try to mask the shock and confusion on my face. "I think that having a future with a non-Christian will not work out. It will cause a lot of heartbreak and that isn't why I chose to do this."

"How do you view relationships and marriage if you aren't looking for heartbreak?"

"I know relationships and marriage will all have their struggles and they require hard work and effort. I believe that God has a man picked out for me, and He will lead me to make that choice whether it is on this show or not," I explain.

"You are a third of the way finished. How do you think the next six weeks will go?"

I laugh softly. "Your guess is as good as mine."

Shesmiles. "Thank you for your time. See you in 3 weeks!"