Prologue

I huff in irritation when a call comes through on my phone which pauses the YouTube video I was watching. I quickly swipe it to continue watching the video.

If it's something important, they will leave a message.

I finish the video from one of my favorite Christian YouTubers and open my notifications. I sit up from lying on the couch and press the voicemail icon.

"Hello, I am trying to get a hold of Ms. Adelaide. My name is Victoria. If you could give me a call back as soon as you get this so we could talk about the show, I would appreciate it."

My eyes widen and dial the number back as quickly as possible. I pace the floor as I anxiously wait for the lady to answer the phone and explain what she meant.

"This is Victoria."

"Hi," I begin nervously. "I'm Adelaide. I think you just tried to call me."

"Yes. Congratulations, Adelaide! You have been chosen to be on this season of The Christian Bachelorette. We have picked 31 male contestants just for you and in ten weeks, you will have the man you've been waiting on. We are shooting in Nashville, Tennessee and we would like for you to be here tomorrow. We have a plane ticket ready for you. You may bring whatever you would like, but a shopping trip is already scheduled for tomorrow evening. Do you have any questions?"

I stood in shock. My mind was still stuck on 'chosen for The Christian Bachelorette'. I swallowed nervously. "How much will all that cost?"

"Honey, you are getting paid to do this. Nothing is at cost to you."

I nod and take a deep breath. "What time do I need to be at the airport?"

"A driver will pick you up at your house, be ready by 6:00 AM. You have a busy day tomorrow, Ms. Adelaide. Sleep well. Call me if you think of any other questions for me."

"Okay. Thank you."

She ends the call without so much as a 'see you tomorrow' or a simple 'bye'. What have I gotten myself into?

I enter my bedroom and play my worship playlist from Spotify. I sit on my bed and look down at my floor.

"God, my life is about to change drastically. Am I ready for this? Is this what I'm supposed to be doing? I'm supposed to get to know 31 guys and I have a hard time doing that with just one!" I throw my hands up and fall backwards. I cover my face with my hands. I uncover my face and stare at the ceiling as I focus on the lyrics to the song that's playing.

Like Moses in the desert

I want to see the land

But like Moses in the desert

I can't fully see your plan

Still your love doesn't stop

When I see the land from a mountain top

...

I don't wanna go if you're not going before me

...

Anywhere you go

I wanna be there

It's written on my soul

You're all I've ever needed

"Okay, I'll go," I whisper as the song ends.