Week 2: Tucker's Date

I braid my hair into pigtails before putting the baseball cap on. I admire my reflection, and appreciate the outfit Tucker picked out for me.

I think I like this country style: no skinny jeans, cowgirl boots, and baseball cap.

I hear a knock at the door, and Belle perks up from her spot on the floor. "Come on, Belle." I say and begin walking downstairs to answer the door with Belle following me. I pick her up before opening the door so she doesn't run off.

Tucker is standing with his hands tucked into his pockets. He grins and tips the end of his baseball cap, "Addie."

"Tucker," I smile.

"Are you ready?" He questions and I nod.

I step through the door and close the door. "Is it okay if we drop Belle off at your house before we go on our date?"

"Yeah."

Reece takes Belle from me and cuddles her to his chest. "You are so cute! We are going to become best friends whether you like it or not," he says to Belle. He looks at Tucker and me with a stern look. "You two better be safe and don't stay out too late."

"Yes, dad," Tucker mocks Reece and I grin. I love when the guys joke around and seem to be friends. I don't want all this just to be a competition.

Tucker uncovers my eyes for me to find out what our date will be. A huge red barn is in front of us and a few neighs escape. I turn to Tucker with a huge grin on my face.

"We are going horseback riding," he says.

"I've never been, but I'm excited." I reply.

"We'll start off easy so you can get used to it." He says as we enter the barn. Two horses are already saddled and waiting for us. One is pure white with the prettiest blue eyes I've ever seen. I walk up to her and gently pet her nose. "Her name is angel."

I admire her in awe. "She's beautiful," I whisper.

"She is," he says softly.

I turn to him and look up at him. "Tucker."

"Yeah?"

"I'm turning into a country girl."

He grins, "welcome to the wild side, buttercup. Are you ready to ride?" I nod. "Okay, so you put your left foot in the stirrup and swing your other leg over."

I look at him with a raised eyebrow. "Slow down, cowboy, show me."

He laughs. "Yes, ma'am." He rubs the black horse's neck before holding onto the horn of the saddle. He puts his foot in the stirrup and swings over effortlessly. "His name is Shadow by the way."

"You are really tall now," I state.

Tucker chuckles. "Are you ready to get on now?"

"I'll try, but I might need help." I say and Tucker climbs down.

"I'm right here," he says gently. "You can do it."

I close my eyes and relax as we ride the horses, soaking in the sun. "This isn't boring, is it?" Tucker says making me open my eyes.

"No, I love it," I grin. "Thank you for choosing this as our date."

"You're welcome."

"So, what made you want to be a vet?" I question him.

He seems to tense, but it's gone in a moment. "Is it okay if we don't talk about vet school? I really want to have a good time with you."

"Yeah, that's fine."

I gasp at the sight in front of me. "Tucker, why didn't you tell me we were coming to a waterfall?"

"I have to keep you on your toes," he chuckles. He climbs down off of Shadow and comes over to Angel and me. He holds his hand out for me, "come on. We are taking a small break before heading back."

I take his hand and attempt to get off Angel. I'm not sure if Tucker catches me or if I fall into his arms. My cheeks heat up. "Sorry," I mutter. He sets me down on one foot and rubs the back of his neck. He holds me steady with one hand as he gets my boot with his other hand. "Thanks." I mutter as I put my boot back on. We walk to the edge of the water and gaze at the waterfall.

"Sorry about getting weird on you earlier about being a future vet. It uh is hard for me to talk about."

"It's okay," I say gently. "If you ever want to talk about it, I'm all ears."

He smiles at me appreciatively.

After gazing at the waterfall for a few moments, we get back on Angel and Shadow to head back. When we get to the barn, he shows me how to unsaddle a horse and how to brush them down. I glance at him while I'm brushing down Angel and wonder what's going through his mind.

I don't understand why he tensed up about the topic of being a veterinarian. He seems so shut off. This date just makes me want to know more about him.