Resident Prince Charming ⚜ Ch. 4

A while later, Marc was taking a weekend to roam the castle grounds. That, and he couldn't find Milica anywhere.

He slipped in and out of his favourite passageways, pausing in one of the classrooms to move everything on the professor's desk one inch to the left - a favourite harmless prank. With a sigh, he turned to leave, deciding to go outside.

Once in the gardens, he wandered the lush green pathways, dodging amorous couples and a magic academy student who was probably planting snapping vines as a joke. It had happened before, more than once. He rounded a corner and again encountered someone, but they were familiar, and alone. Feeling rather lonely himself - and seeing that she was reading the same old book - he approached her.

"Hello Princess."

Ardenne looked up, surprised. "Prince Arinsal, fancy seeing you here."

He bowed and looked to a blooming rose bush. "The gardens are particularly beautiful this year, aren't they?"

She nodded, closing her book. "They are."

The prince clasped his hands behind his back, thinking. "It's not usually the gardeners that get their names in stories though. It's always the stable boys."

"No, you're right." Seeing that there was something on his mind, she asked, "What are you thinking about?"

Marc grinned slightly. "I don't suppose you would want to hear another story, while we're here?"

"Why not," she shrugged.

He smiled and thought of how the old tale began. "Once upon a time, there was a gifted gardener that served the king. His gardens were his pride, and were the best of any kingdom. He knew the Queen's favourite rose bush and the Princess's favourite arches, who visited often. The Princess most of all.

"But in their small kingdom, a terrible illness quickly spread, infecting even the King himself. This wasn't an ordinary disease, but a magic one. And as it so happened, the gardener knew just the blend of enchanted flowers that could heal them.

"To his delight, the potion worked and the royals healed, including his beloved Princess. But when the King heard of how he was healed, he was livid that magic been allowed to touch his lips. He wanted the gardener's head. While the Princess had once sought to marry the man, she now tried to bargain for his life. But the King would hear none of it, no matter how unreasonable his decree may have seemed.

"Desperate and afraid, the gardener planned to run for his life. The Princess wanted to join him, but he tried to refuse her, knowing that she would forever lose her crown and comforts if she went with him. But for defending him, her life was in jeopardy too, and so they ran away together and were married.

"Years later, once the King was dead, they returned to the castle, and were hired on as the gardeners. No one would have ever suspected their remarkable story, but some did wonder if gardens again became so vibrantly green through a little magic."

Ardenne was transfixed, hanging on every word. "What a lovely story," she smiled. "What others do you know?"

The prince smiled. "Let's see, there's a story about a man who went to count all the rooms in the four Academy castles and ended up marrying a noblewoman attending the school."

She chuckled. "I like that one too."

"Yes, there's hundreds of secrets and stories here. Secret passageways, doors that haven't been unlocked in centuries..." He could see the sparkle in her eyes and grinned. "I don't suppose you'd want to see...?"

Ardenne nodded enthusiastically. "Can we?"

"Come on." He led her back towards the castle, sharing bits and pieces of things she might find interesting.

"You know everything about this place," she said, helping him look both ways before pulling on a sconce to reveal a hidden door.

"Yes well, it comes at a price," he told her, stepping into the passage. "I have no secrets here, with my parents watching all the time. I guess that happens when you're an only child." They walked along the dimly lit path for a short ways, then stopped. "Are you alright Princess? You're suddenly quiet. You're not too claustrophobic I hope."

She shook her head. "No, it's not that. I... I think I'm just jealous of those who have both parents. My mother died a few years ago, leaving just Father and me."

"Oh Princess, I'm so sorry," he said softly.

She put on a smile, even though he could barely see it. "Yes, well, my independence and sass helps carry me through," she teased.

He remembered their conversation and smiled. "Just so. Come on then, let's get out of here." Leading her down a ways further, he let them out in the hall that led to the mess hall.

"Thank you for showing me this. It's been quite the exciting afternoon," she said, blinking in the light.

He nodded and bowed slightly. "It was my pleasure, Princess."

She turned to leave, but paused. "Oh, and um, Lucien actually talked to me yesterday."

Marc smiled. "Really? And you still like him?"

Ardenne just laughed.