White Knight, Black King ⚜ Ch. 5

Thiana was awoken by a maid the next morning, who informed her that the seamstress was en route. She got up and put on the last of her clean clothes, trying to do her hair nicely with bent old pins.

Once she was done however, the seamstress hadn't yet arrived. She paced a while, then finally decided she had to get out of those four walls. 

Slipping into the hall, she looked for something to keep her occupied - and hoped not to find anything too... interesting. What do mob bosses do when they're at home?

In a lower parlor, she found the most beautiful piano she'd ever seen, and was so drawn to it that she couldn't stop herself from playing. She didn't know many songs, but she knew them by heart. 

Sweet music filled the mansion, seeming to charge the air with fresh energy, goodness.

After a while, someone walked in. Upon seeing that it was Dren, she decided to keep playing and finish the song. He hadn't stopped her yet.

He came closer to listen, leaning against the grand piano, watching her. 

She felt her cheeks grow warm under his scrutiny, and when the song ended, she hardly dared to look at him. Oh she wished she hadn't... He looked so entranced, so enamored.

"That was beautiful," he said.

She tucked her hair behind her ear. "I should have asked before playing, I'm sorry. I just-"

"Don't apologize. You're welcome to play whenever you want." He was quiet for a moment. "No one's played in years."

Offering a sympathetic smile, she put a hand on his. "And it's okay with you if I keep playing?"

He nodded. "Please. We could all use it."

For the first time, a thought occurred to her. Perhaps her purpose was to help tame the mob - starting in their very home. And what a better way to do that than music.

✧❈✧ 

Thiana's playing was like nothing else. It sounded so soulful, so flawless. "Where are those songs from?" he asked, curious.

Her blue eyes widened. "I um, well... I sort of wrote them."

He stared at her in shock. That beautiful melody had come from her head? "You're so talented. I had no idea. Maybe you could join the Arts Academy next to my magic school, when term starts again."

She smiled embarrassedly, and seemed grateful when they were interrupted.

"The seamstress has arrived, Lord Dren."

"Ah yes, thank you." He grinned and grabbed her hand. "Come on."

They went up to her room, setting out the dressing screen so she could change and Dren could help critique.

"I don't know the first thing about fashion," Thiana said as the seamstress took her measurements.

"I'll help."

The little woman scoffed. "You no help, you stare. I help."

Dren just grinned, leaning back to watch as she came out in the first dress. 

She looked self conscious as she came out in a white lacy gown. But oh, she looked lovely. 

"Wow."

The seamstress smirked. "Like I said. You stare, boy. Darling, you need something to accentuate that tiny waist. Let me get jewel belt."

Dren just watched as she came out in dress after dress, looking like royalty, a Hollywood star, and a vision with every gown.

When they got to the last one, the fuller skirt reminded him of a true ball gown. He stood and went over to her, smiling. "You look like a princess."

She met his eye and seemed to build up her courage. "Promise you'll always be the white knight for me, Dren?" 

He leaned in to kiss her cheek again, and succumbed to the temptation to run his fingertips into her soft gold hair. "I promise, Thiana."

✧❈✧ 

Thank you SO much for reading and voting on Book I of the Royal Academy Diaries series! 
Go to Book II to keep reading and find out what will happen next when a talented American comes to the Academy.