Resident Prince Charming ⚜ Ch. 7

Ardenne loved to read in the common rooms, and typically stayed to the girl's common unless it was crowded. But she still couldn't find her book. Starting to worry, she went to look for it again.

As she searched under sofas and tables, a pair of expensive shoes approached her. She looked up to see Milica.

"Hello-"

The lady looked oddly amused. "He doesn't care about you. You must know that. He smiles like that for everyone, it's just natural for him."

Her brow furrowed. "I didn't think-"

Milica crossed her arms. "He doesn't think about you. You're just a distraction when he's bored and his friends are away."

Ardenne stood to face her, anger and embarrassment colouring her cheeks. "If I didn't know any better I'd think you didn't care about him either. Not really."

The lady raised a brow and shrugged before walking away.

While she was left standing there, replaying the odd encounter in her head, another girl named Miele approached her. The third year was often seen around Milica.

She looked around to see if anyone was listening, and whispered. "She's just jealous. Marc wants you to meet him in the upper drawing room. He wants to show you his true feelings."

Ardenne stared at her, openmouthed. "You can't be serious."

But the girl said nothing more. She turned and slipped out of the common.

Her mind reeled. He wanted to see her? She didn't think he'd be one to cheat. Perhaps he'd already broken up with Milica.

With this thought in mind, she started towards the stairs.

The prince was a bit odd, but he was nonetheless charming. She became hopeful that perhaps he did care. At the same moment, she realized with a start that she had a crush on him, as much or more as Lucien.

Maybe...

✧❈✧

In the upper drawing room, Marc was waiting, and smiled as Milica walked in. "There you are. Merry Christmas." He held out a long slim box to her, and she gasped.

"Oh Marc, you shouldn't have. Can I open it?"

"Well, it's not Christmas..."

She leaned into him. "Oh come on, please?"

"Alright," he smiled. "Go ahead."

With a small squeal of delight, she pulled at the ribbons on the box. She lifted the lid, and her smile faded. "Quills?"

"For next semester. You'd mentioned yours were wearing out. I can't always get you flowers," he teased.

She set the box down and took his hand. "Let's dance," she said.

He could tell she was trying to hide her disappointment, but shook it off. He'd get her jewelry for her birthday. And there was still time to get something better. Although the metal tipped quills were very nice... He shook off those thoughts and just got lost dancing with her.

Behind them, the door suddenly opened, and he turned to see who it was. "Ardenne?"

Her expression looked like she'd been betrayed as she hurriedly fled the room.

He was concerned. "Princess?"

"Oh poor girl," Milica said patronizingly.

Marc wheeled back, shocked. "What was that?"

She laughed, and he was a bit appalled. "Did you see her face? That'll end her little daydream."

He stepped away from her, his mind racing. "You did this on purpose? Why would you be so unkind?"

She put a hand on his chest. "Oh come on Marc, it was just a joke."

He steeled. "Apparently decency is a joke to you."

Milica's smile faded. Looking into his eyes for a long second, she realized the game was up. "I suppose you'll be wanting to break up with me," she said matter-of-factly. She nodded and sighed. "It's a shame, I did like you. You're such a good kisser. I just wish you weren't so modest." Pecking his cheek one more time, she walked to the door. "Goodbye Prince Charming. Oh, and you can keep the quills."

Marc looked after her, speechless, left wondering what had just happened.