Viking Blood ⚜ Ch. 1

Prince Eirik Bayern of The Kingdom of Norway Knight Academy, year two - 16 ✧❈✧

Knight Academy, year two - 16
✧❈✧

The eldest prince of Norway looked over his shoulder and smirked. "Keep up Eirik!"

The youngest prince huffed and pushed his horse to catch up to his brothers' Norwegian Fjords. His own steed was snow white and fast - but what made him a racehorse was that his rider knew how to outsmart his opponents.

"Come on Loki!" He cut through the trees, weaving and dodging to pull out up front. "Whoo! Try to catch up in the twentieth century Henrik! And bring Torik when you catch up!"

He saw a flash of red-gold out of the corner of his eye - Torik catching up - and he pressed Loki harder. "Come on, let's fly!"

The brothers raced through the wilderness to return to their castle, taking ancient troll and Norse trails to get there. As they sped through the tall grasses, fireflies rose up all around, creating a truly magical scene.

Up ahead was the castle, and Eirik was in the lead. Two hundred meters, one hundred, zero.

"Whoo! Ah that was exhilerating," he grinned, pulling Loki to a stop and jumping off.

The Castle Steward, Master Viggo - who often tended to the stables as well - reached for the reins. "Ready to relinquish your freedom, Prince Eirik?"

"Never," the young prince replied, and the man chuckled. He climbed the stairs up to the castle entrance, where his mother was waiting on the landing.

She watched as the other two brothers rode up, who were taking a more leisurely pace. "I'm so glad Olrik and Darik never got into riding," the frettful Queen sighed, pulling her youngest in for a hug. "I worry about you three like you wouldn't believe."

Eirik just let her hold him. "I know you worry."

She pulled back to look at him. "Be safe this year. Work hard in all your classes. Write-"

"Every week. I will," he promised.

"I'm surprised you can look mother in the eye, you cheating rascal," Torik teased, coming up to join them.

Eirik grinned. "I did not cheat! I took a shortcut."

His brother leaned forward. "Aka, cheating."

"As much as I'd like to stay, I need to be getting back to Wendi and Veronica," the oldest said, staying at the base of the stairs.

"Of course darling," the Queen nodded. "Give my daughter-in-law and granddaughter a kiss."

Eirik started down the stairs as he inclined his head. "I will." Henrik caught his youngest brother and lowered his voice. "Don't give her any reason to worry, okay?"

"Yeah yeah, everything will be fine," Eirik said, brushing him off.

"Say hi to Negasi for me," Torik said.

"Stay out of trouble at Oxford," Eirik grinned. He went over to his horse to help prepare it to be transferred to Andorra to join his other three.

While he did, Master Viggo went to stand with the Queen, who was watching all three of her sons leaving. "Queen Ragnild, highness, don't worry. He'll get into trouble, he'll stay out in the sun, and let me tell you he'll be just fine."

"If by pure stubbornness alone," the Queen quipped.

Viggo chuckled and put a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You might just be right about that." He then left to go get the car and pull it around front. Once he had, he got out and opened the door for Eirik. "Are you ready, highness?"

He nodded. "I am." Getting in, he waved to his mother once more, and looked up at the sky. It was time to leave the clouds behind and face the sun.