The Amulets of Mertiaten ⚜ Ch. 9

By the time the bus returned to take them back, Camillio's hair was looking more dirty blonde. (And Baltazar had to pull a few pieces of leaves and rubble from it.)

They were going to stop by a French village to eat, and they had seen a post office on the way there.

They frantically tried to prepare the amulet and the incantation they'd found in the book to activate it. As Baltazar tried to write as neatly as possible, Camillio watched over his shoulder.

"Wait that's not Brazilian portuguese."

He sighed, feeling the stress. "Doing my best here."

"We're running out of time. Oh just let me do it." Cam snatched the paper and quill and finished writing the spell and a letter for her family. "Alright. Now we just have to get there."

As the bus finally entered the village, they realized a big problem.

"It's too far. We won't make it before the post office closes for the day," Camillio lamented.

Spying a Vespa sitting unguarded in front of a nearby building, Baltazar shook his head. "Maybe we will." Taking the carefully wrapped package and letter, he got onto the bike and sped away. 

He didn't look back as someone shouted, or as the last few to get off the bus called after him. He had to make it. Pulling up on the other side of town, he jumped off and sprinted the last few steps to the post office. 

A man was just getting up to close the doors. 

"I have to deliver this package today!" he panted. "Please."

The man huffed and pointed to the wall. "Packages down the shoot."

"Thank you." He opened the hatch and slid the amulet and letter down. They'd written the spell on the wrapping and in the letter, so he prayed they'd both make it in time. Slipping a few coins over the counter, he turned to leave. 

Professor Aksel was waiting as he pulled up to return the Vespa, and not looking pleased. "What is this about sneaking off at the ruins? Amulets? I don't like it. What happened to the real Paul and Rytas?"

Baltazar sighed and looked to Camillio. "I know. We'll tell you the whole truth and accept any consequences. Caio's life is worth it."