Dragonfly ⚜ Ch. 5

"Is it really necessary to have a guard in detention at these schools? I mean if anyone did anything, it would be all over the news," Stefan whispered, a bit uncomfortable as Salih stood close by.

Avantika shrugged. "Some people think you're dangerous because of where you're from."

He sighed. "This is awful. I'm sorry, Tika."

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this. Perhaps this quest we've embarked on isn't worth it. Maybe they're nothing to find," she said quietly, her eyes turning a deep blue.

They were quiet for a while, until one of the other kids in with them leaned over.

"What are you in for?" he hissed.

Avantika raised a brow. "I did something wrong. I'm not Ghandi," she replied a bit defiantly.

"Shut up Gregory," the kid next to him said, drawing on the desk.

About a minute passed, and she was about to smack Stefan if he blew one more bubble in his gum. The door opened, sparing her friend.

The man was out of breath. "Salih, there's been an incident down at the archery range! Someone just stole a horse and last I saw, two kids were duking!"

Salih didn't waste a second. "What the devil?! Come on!" As an afterthought, he throw over his shoulder, "You all behave! I'll be back."

The moment the door closed, Gregory was up on a desk and the other kid went to draw on the blackboard.

"Nice!" Stefan grinned, pulling out a notebook. He made and enchanted a paper airplane to fly around the room.

"Cool!" the Arts kid said, taking his detention slip and making an origami dragon out of it.

Avantika watched him, not even looking to Stefan as she reached out for a paper.

He handed it to her with a grin.

She looked at the blank white sheet and willed it to become a dragon. Within seconds, it was. She smiled at it and petted its head.

It wasn't until it took to flying around the room - chasing the paper airplane - that the others noticed it.

The art kid ran a hand through his hair. "Whoah! That is wicked!"

Gregory got up on a desk, and the paper dragon hovered in front of him, silently roaring before flying away. "Epic," he grinned.

Stephen held his hand out and she automatically bumped his fist.

For good measure, she charmed the little origami dragon too, smiling at the others exclamations as it took to the air.

They all watched, laughing as the little dragon tried to keep up with the bigger one. They chased the paper airplane, finally knocking it down onto a desk. The little one sat on it while the big one tried to bite it. It managed to grab the plane in its mouth and shook it, sending the other tumbling to the floor. After a moment, the little one flew over to the art kid, landing on his hand.

"I should have gone to the Magic Academy," he said to himself.

Avantika smiled, she didn't bother telling him that she didn't know of a human who had learned magic (becoming a mage) who was under the age of thirty.

"I'm so glad we do," Stefan smiled.

She chuckled. "I am too. Every day."