Viking Blood ⚜ Ch. 9

Landon and Eirik quickly became friends, and for once he'd found someone who didn't ever tire of his talk of horses.

Which was his inspiration for the service project that second year royals arranged. He decided to hold a charity horse show to help fund medical research, particularly for children.

Because of the fierce snowstorms happening in Norway, he hosted his project in the same town in southern France that the race had been held in. There were already corrals and stables in the small countryside town, and so the biggest challenge was finding riders who would be willing to donate their winnings to charity.

Eirik was thrilled that so many riders from all around Europe wanted to participate in what was quickly becoming a top name show. World class breeders, jumpers, and dressage masters flocked to France for the recognition. Their entry fee was added to the pool of 'prize money' that would then be donated to one of ten select charities and research facilities of the winners' choosing.

When the day arrived, Queen Ragnild, Viggo, Torik, Olrik, Henrik and his family all made the trip to watch and help support the charities. (And their presence encouraged several other high names and deep wallets to attend.)

Also there with him was Landon, who had been extremely helpful.

"Welcome to the charity show. Thank you for coming." Eirik paused in his greetings to whisper to him, "Much easier than tracing phone lines to reach riders' agents, isn't it?"

"Welcome, it's an honour to have you here." He smiled. "Yes it is."

Upon seeing the entering crowd lessening, he nodded back towards one of the stables. "Come on, there aren't as many people coming through now."

"Alright." He let Eirik take his hand to lead him to the stables holding the horses being entered in the breeding contest. "Oh look, isn't that your brother?" he asked, seeing a tall blonde man at the end of the building.

Eirik nodded. "It is. Henrik!"

His brother turned around and put a finger to his lips.

Intrigued, he and Landon quickly walked to the end to see what he was watching. There was a large and beautiful Fresian tied outside, waiting for a final grooming. The stable hand was with Eirik's young niece, encouraging her to give the horse a carrot.

Veronica walked up to the tall horse and hesitated before anxiously holding out the carrot. The horse happily took a bite, and she squealed in nervous delight. 

As they watched, a family approached, and upon seeing how gentle the horse was being, urged their own daughter forward, who was about her same age. But unlike Henrik's daughter, this girl had a sallow complexion and looked skeletally thin. 

They all watched as Veronica handed the girl a carrot, not seeming to notice her thin hair and trembling hands. The girls giggled as the horse took another bite.

Then the girl's father looked over into the stable, and upon catching Eirik's attention, smiled and inclined his head.

The prince knew exactly what he meant. Because of this event, their daughter would have a better chance at receiving treatment, finding a cure, and having hope for a longer and happier life.

Landon held onto his arm, and Eirik looked down to see a tear slip down his cheek. "A thoughtless person could never have done something like this, Eirik," he whispered. With a sniff, he looked up at him. "Now come on, you have a horse to prep."

He smiled. "So do you."

Landon couldn't hold back his grin as they turned to go. "It's almost too much, you know, my own horse."

"Your own Lippizan that you can take back to Austria this summer? After having watched and worked with them your whole life? After dreaming about it your whole life? No, I don't at all think it's too much. Too much would be buying all of the Lippizaners in Austria. That might be a step too far."

He just laughed, and the sound made the prince feel at home.