Resident Prince Charming ⚜ Ch. 5

The next day, Marc headed down to the courtyard to meet up with his friends.

"There you are, finally," Hamukungu said, polishing his sword. 

"Morning darling," the prince said, kissing Milica's cheek.

She and her friend Meili sat on a low wall, ready to watch. "Morning. Your hair looks good."

Hamukungu scoffed. "Don't tell me that's what was keeping you."

Mordecai sighed. "Alas I think he rolls out of bed with his hair looking like that. Lucky."

"What can I say," Marc grinned, putting on his gloves, "it's in the genes."

"Ugh don't get me started on King Arinsal. People shouldn't be allowed to be that good looking." Mordecai swung his sword around. "Come on, let's go!"

"Yes, we've got to keep up our skills what with werewolves and shapeshifters around," Hamukungu said.

Mark shook his head. "There's no werewolves here. Believe me, I'd know if there were."

"But the shapeshifter was real," his friend pointed out. 

The prince swung his sword in an impressive display to warm up. "You're not wrong."

"It has been an odd year, hasn't it." Pointing his sword, Marc gestured to him first. "You look ready to fight."

Mordecai smirked. "I've been waiting all week." 

They bowed and began circling each other, matching every move. Mordecai made the first swing. Marc parried with him easily, although he looked to be concentrating fiercely. The clang of their swords rang out in the courtyard until his friend misstepped, giving him a clear shot.

"Better luck next time," he panted.

Mordecai made a face. "Next time I'll get you. Phew, next time, yeah. I'm just gonna go sit down."

Marc laughed, and Hamukungu got up to face him. He knew that of his two friends, Mordecai liked slick moves, and Hamukungu relied on fierce strength - which he had plenty of.

Their parry wasn't as fast as the previous round, but it certainly was louder.

Their swords came together so fiercely, it was a wonder they didn't just shatter. Finally, Marc got the upper hand and made his move.

"The werewolves won't let you win," he said, breathing hard.

Hamukungu raised a brow. "You didn't let me win."

"Exactly," Marc smiled. 

They walked over to the short wall, still catching their breath.

Milica stood and ran her hands down his arms. "You are one talented guy, Prince Charming. Well done."

Hamukungu nodded, sitting down next to Moredecai. "Yes, he will protect us from the werewolves." 

Marc laughed and bowed playfully. "Anytime."