Resident Prince Charming ⚜ Ch. 10

A little more than two weeks passed, and Marc only saw Ardenne in passing. He was still kicking himself for having practically asked her to be his new girlfriend. 'Why' was the question that filled his thoughts.

But the answer that most intrigued him was that it still felt right. Not that it mattered if she never wanted to talk to him again. And he would't blame her if she didn't.

On his way back to the common one day, he saw a package that still hadn't been touched from the mail delivery. Knowing it was his, he took it out of the first layer of packaging, and was pleased to see that the second layer was nicely in tact.

He put down his bookbag and turned to take it to the other common room, but someone bumped into him. "Oh, sorry, I- Ardenne?" he said in surprise.

She smiled a bit sheepishly. "Hello."

"Sorry, I must be in your way. I understand if you don't want to talk, but I have something for you." He held out the package a bit embarrassedly.

"Oh." She brought a package about the same size and shape from behind her back. "I guess we both had the same idea."

The prince chuckled. "So we did."

"You should open it," she encouraged.

"So should you," he replied, nodding to the package in her hands.

"Alright." They both tore at the wrappings, but Marc was especially watching her expression. When she saw what it was, she first smiled. "A new copy of Pride & Prejudice. It's beautif-" She gasped as she opened the cover. "This is my book. I thought I'd lost it. How...?"

He smiled. "I uh, used another secret passage to get it so it could be re-bound. And if you look inside, there's an enchanted bookmark that will never lose your place."

A tear slipped down her cheek. "Thank you. This means so much." Wiping away the tear, she hurried him. "Go on, finish opening yours."

He did, and smiled at the pristine new sketch book, complete with a pen.

"I saw that your book was almost full, so I thought you could use a new one," she shrugged. "Perhaps it can also serve as an apology for being so rude when you were just trying to set things right."

He shook his head. "No, I should be the one apologizing. I said too much at the wrong time and made things worse. A relationship isn't something I would go into lightly. Especially not now. It just... It felt right to say something at the time, but I'm sorry. I would never push anything."

Her blue eyes were wide, and she seemed unsure. "I... Marc, I trust you. I like you..."

Was she saying... "I'll strive to be worthy of your trust," he replied.

The princess looked up at the mistletoe they were again standing under. Seeming to gather her courage, she looked back to him pointedly.

Marc stuttered embarrassedly, "But w-we hardly-"

"You know what else Elizabeth did?" she asked. "She fought for what her heart told her was right."

Looking into her kind, soft eyes, it felt so right... He took a step closer. "Yes. And what is your heart telling you, Ardenne?"

She hesitated, but said, "That perhaps this is what I've been waiting for."

"Is it?" He took their new books and put them on a table by the door. His heart pounding, he put his hands on her waist. Why did it never feel like this with Milica?

The princess's breath hitched at his touch. "And that it's worth the risk to try."

"I agree," he said, tucking her hair behind her ear, "my pearl."

Ardenne smiled, running her hands up his chest. "My prince charming," she murmured.

He softly kissed her forehead, then her lips. And for the first time in a long time, everything felt right.

✧❈✧

Thank you for reading and voting on the eighth installment of the Royal Academy Diaries series!
Keep reading to find out what the most talented first year at the Knights Academy has to prove.