The Orphan Princess ⚜ Ch. 9

Sririta decided to take the weekend to write to her grandmother - and to avoid the throngs of curious students wanting to hear about what happened.

Again she found herself dipping her quill in ink without ever marking the page. How could she describe what was happening? She didn't want to upset her Gran, who was still quietly grieving the loss of her son and daughter in law.

And yet, Sririta's confusion and fear was real. She felt shaken, vulnerable. Not to mention foolish both for having trusted Pirath, and for mistrusting Takeo.

Running her fingertips over the familiar pattern on her locket, she sighed, deciding to start simply. She began by writing about the people she'd met, and the potential friendship alliances with Zanzibar, Shanghai, Lithuania, Ethiopia, Nepal, Japan. Then she wrote about her classes - maths, Latin, etiquette, government, genealogy, and then equestrian and archery.

For almost an hour, she wrote out the story from the last few days. How the shapeshifting grifter had been found and detained, and how a nobleman from Japan exposed the imposter at his own peril.

A knock at the door startled her out of her concentration.

"Yes?" she called, propping the quill in the inkwell.

A maid answered, opening the door and curtseying. "Princess Sririta, you have a visitor in the dorm common area."

"Oh, thank you Darcia." Sririta ran a hand through her hair as she stood and walked over, hoping to not have to deal with any more charmers looking for a fling. She was running out of people to re-gift flowers to.

"Of course, Princess. Just follow me," Darcia nodded, starting down the hall.

Sririta ran her fingertips along the expensive wallpaper as she followed the maid through the halls and to the grand staircase that opened into the opulent common area. There were two fireplaces, plenty of velvet seating, and two branch off rooms, with billiards in one and a library and piano in the other. Silent guards stood by, their watch particularly acute during the open visiting hours when noblemen were allowed in the common area.

When they reached the top of the stairs, Darcia nodded towards a nobleman standing next to one of the fireplaces. "He's waiting for you," she said, trying to hold back her grin.

"Thank you," Sririta murmured, taking a breath before starting down the marble steps. Her heart started beating a little faster when Takeo caught sight of her. She crossed the red carpet into the side seating area and stopped at the other end of the fireplace.

Takeo offered her a small bow and smile as she approached. "Hello."

"Hello," she replied shyly, unsure of what he was here for.

"How are you, Princess?" he inquired, sensing her reservation.

"I'm well, thank you. How is your leg?"

He shrugged. "It was just a scratch. I'm fine, really."

"Good," she sighed, relieved. She swallowed, glancing down before saying, "I... I am in your debt. You risked your life doing what you did. Please forgive me for ever doubting you."

Shaking his head, he stepped closer. "You don't need to apologize, Princess. I'm just sorry that I caused you fear."

She nodded and glanced down briefly, again feeling foolish for her mistake.

"It's not your fault," he murmured softly. "He had everyone fooled."

"I'm just glad that you got a hint of his true nature before it was too late," she replied quietly.

Takeo then closed the distance between them, raising a hand to gently touch her cheek. "I would do it again to keep you safe from him. No one should be manipulated and deceived like that." His voice was low and soothing. "You deserve to be with who you want. You deserve to have someone by your side that you can trust, who loves you and will support you and your kingdom, Sririta."

Her breath caught at his sincere words and the look in his eyes. But it was the way he said her name that set her heart racing. "I wish it were easier to know whose intentions are true," she found herself saying.

"You are bright, Princess, you'll know in time," he assured her.

Her lips quirked in a grin and she tentatively reached out for his hand. "Say my name again," she requested shyly.

Takeo's eyes widened in suprise, which was quickly replaced by a smile. "Sririta."

Although bashful, she suggested, "Perhaps you would be so kind as to be a second judge to ensure I don't align myself with the wrong people again. And," she grinned, "I would be ever so grateful if you would continue helping me in maths."

He considered for a moment, a smile playing on his lips. "I will. On one condition."

"Oh?" Such words make any girl equal parts excited and nervous. "What's that?"

His eyes glinted as he smiled down at her. "Say my name."

A blush tinted her cheeks as she obliged. "Takeo."