Conquer ⚜ Ch. 1

Lady Raelynn Kilarney of Connacht Ireland of The British Empire  Knight Academy, year one - 15✧❈✧

Knight Academy, year one - 15
✧❈✧

The crystal doorknobs were bad enough, but the dolls on the shelf were a step too far. This Lady Aveline was going to be the death of her.

Raelynn would rather balance on a beam covered in hornets than walk around with a book on her head. Not that she couldn't do it, but she preferred not to.

She thought of her mentor's words to her. You're well on your way to becoming a champion. Who knows, maybe even a King or Queen's champion. That is where she belonged. Not in this dollhouse.

She watched the clock. Just sixty three minutes until this class was over. Granted, it hadn't started yet, but she was ready for it to be over. This and the next two hundred days of it.

Etiquette class.

Being the first day, they'd have to go through the obligatory greetings, just like her other classes. Names to forget. She'd learn to curtsey while wishing she was learning how to shoot an apple off someone's head. Something useful at least.

She didn't want to deal with ritzy, high-hat girls and princesses. Nor did she want to be groomed to be one of them. This Lady Aveline was pretty and graceful - and defenseless.

While girls and boys had to sit on opposite sides of the room, she sat on the edge, and soon someone came to sit in the row next to her.

The scar under her eye was instantly intriguing.

Class hadn't started yet. She was still free to speak. "Hello," she whispered.

The girl looked over and smiled. "Hello."

"I'm Rae."

"A pleasure," the brunette nodded. "My name is Finnley. You can call me Finn."

Good, she didn't mind the lack of formalities. "So, you go to Knights Academy too?" she observed, gesturing to Finn's uniform. "What's your elective?"

Her eyes flicked to the clock. A minute left. "Competitive swordplay, fencing, archery, hand to hand. I think that's the full name of the class."

Rae nodded, grinning. Another fighting girl? A cute one too... They were going together along very well. "And your specialty?"

"Hand to hand. Yours?" she asked.

She shrugged. "All, I suppose. Khesar recruited me, so it must be up to him to decide."

Finn's brows raised. "Really? Isn't he the advanced instructor?"

"Maybe. All I know is that we get to forge our own weapons with Andris," she grinned excitedly.

Before she got the chance to answer, Lady Aveline stood, and they had to fall silent.

But her look told Rae she didn't want the conversation to be over. And there was something oddly satisfying in that.