chapter 78

colby: "well, hello again." colby whispers when i roll over and face him, his big smile beaming with pride. god, that sex felt illegal.
emma: "what time is it?" i yawn, feeling refreshed and awake.
colby: "almost two in the afternoon, you slept for a while." he laughs, turning on his side and facing me. i wonder why.
emma: "can you blame me?" i laugh out, watching a sincere smile form on his lips. he brings his hand to my cheek and caresses the apple with his thumb, gazing at me with those fiery blues of his. i place my hand on top of his and close my eyes before slowly opening them, relishing the feel of his hand on me.
colby: "i want to make myself clear that it's just you and i from now on. no more brennen, no more problems. if you're feeling a certain way, tell me. if you need to talk, let me know. if i did something wrong, use your words and make it known so i can fix it. same goes for me," he pauses, studying my expression, "i forgive you, emma. we all do. please know that so we can move past all of this. i just want us to be back to normal. no more sad tears, no more yelling, no more talk of leaving so it makes it easier... no more i'm sorry's... that all stops now. okay? can we agree on that?" he continues, his voice softer than an innocent puppy. aw, baby... i seriously don't know what he sees in me. i'm not worth fighting for yet he makes me feel like i deserve the world.
emma: "to a fresh start?" i smile, now holding his hand that was previously on my cheek.
colby: "to a fresh start." he beams, kissing me softly. and now to fix things with katrina... i still haven't talked to her yet. i was too busy getting my soul sucked and fucked out of my body. seriously, it amazes me at how good he is at not only seducing, but sex in general. he knows exactly what to do without me having to tell him. it's absolutely crazy.
colby: "something's on your mind... what is it?" he states matter-of-factly, taking me aback a little bit.
emma: "just trying to figure out what was going on with katrina earlier. she was getting super defensive over you and it made me question myself. i don't want to sound like an insecure little brat, but i can't stop thinking about it." i look at him, watching a confusing glint spark in his eye.
colby: "what are you saying? you think her and i did something?" he asks suddenly, shocked and definitely caught off guard. i shrug apologetically and a bashful frown forms upon my lips, suddenly feeling anxious.
emma: "i mean, no, but the thought hasn't completely exited stage left." i mirror his words from earlier, watching an amusing look form on his face.
colby: "that was a clever comeback, touché. but, that's not the point," his smile falls, concern in his voice, "i can't tell you why she was acting like that over me, but i can tell you that on everything i have ever loved and still do, you are my one and only. i may be an asshole, but i would never do something that shallow. especially to sam." he says, a harsh tone to his voice to make sure he got his point across. he's right... he wouldn't do that to sam. what the hell was i thinking? why would he ruin an eight-year-friendship just to be disloyal? it just amazes me how katrina got pissed over him as if it was switched and she was dating colby. because i know i've gotten defensive like that over him... but i had good reasons. she just didn't have a reason at all. maybe out of just being friendly? suddenly, colby drapes his arms over my stomach and pulls me close to him, cuddling me at his hip.
colby: "i don't even consider her a close friend, baby. she's an acquaintance and has been since her and sam started dating." he says calmly, making me feel embarrassed for even bringing this whole thing up. what was i thinking? he wouldn't do that. who did i think i was accusing him of something i wasn't even sure about?
emma: "it wasn't really my place to say anything, i'm sorry." i sighed, looking up at him. he looks down at me and smiles, a sincere glint in his baby blues.
colby: "don't apologize, love. i'm glad we got it worked out." he says softly, a loud bang on my bedroom door. i close my naked legs and unwrap them from around colby before sitting up, looking at the door in concern.
kevin: "are you guys sane and have your boners down yet?" he opens the door, looking between colby and i. i rolled my eyes and looked over at colby, watching him bite his tongue to hold back what he needed to say. cool it, baby...
emma: "yes, why?" why can't he understand the concept of privacy? leave colby and i alone, man...
kevin: "because elton and i are bored and want to go to the mall." he says, elton's loud voice chiming in after him.
elton: "no, he's bored and wants to go to the mall. don't let him fool you." he teases, laughing softly.
emma: "okay, give us a few minutes to clean up and we'll be out there. we'll discuss from then on what our plan is. sound good?" i ask pointedly, watching kevin nod like a kid in the candy store before he ducked out of my bedroom. i stood to my feet and locked the door, watching colby shake his head as i turn around to him.
emma: "what's wrong? everything okay?" i ask, seeing the concerning look on his face as his expression turns almost to stone. he scrubs his face in frustration and gazes at me, me unsure of how to handle this exact situation. i walk over to his side of the bed and swing my legs over him, sitting astride him with my arms resting on top of his and cold air hitting the naked apex of my thighs. he looks up at me and places his palms flat against my bare behind, moving the hoodie out of his way before it just falls back over his hands once he places them. i took my hand and moved his stray pieces of hair out of his face before cupping his cheeks, his face softening when i cradle his head in my hands. my baby...
colby: "sometimes i just want to grab your hand and run away with you. just completely leave everyone and everything behind and it just be you and me for the rest of our lives. we would have privacy, we would have no interruptions, no one to laugh at us when we're trying to be serious, no one to make fun of us when they decided to eavesdrop when we told them not to," he says, me removing my hands from his face and placing them down at my sides, "why can't we just run? there's nothing here to stay for." he continues, making my heart melt. yes, we can, let's go.
emma: "colby, you can't just fall off the grid. you're practically the boss of sam, kevin, and elton. you're in a gang and run the one that you're in...you can't escape that." i said, wanting to do exactly what he said and just run away.
colby: "i mean, jake and tara did... why can't we-" he gets cut off by my phone buzzing on the nightstand next to us. i reach over and grab it and my heart just about stopped when i read who it was that texted me. no, no, no...

brennen: "long time, no see, my sweet. can you come over? i need you."

i didn't respond, the only audible thing my mind can focus on is colby saying my name over and over again in concern. i shake my head and my heart races when he texts me again, anxiety taking over me.

brennen: "allow me to rephrase... if you don't come over right now, colby will die in less than two hours and you out of all people should know not to doubt my abilities." 

i look up at colby and he gazes at me, worry in his tone and fear in his eyes. i hand him my phone and look down at my comforter, picking at the fuzees on my blanket in nervousness. are we really doing this again? he knows that i would do anything for colby... does he really think i'm dumb enough to fall for this a second time? unless, he's not kidding and i will no longer have a boyfriend in an hour... and that terrifies me. he's capable of killing and i don't doubt that he would try to pull something on colby. the thought of-

colby: "emma, look at me," he cradles my head in his hands, the thump of my cell phone landing on the bed sounding throughout the room, "neither of us are going anywhere. we are staying right here. i am not allowing you to leave this apartment. okay?" he says calmly, my heart racing with anxiety.
emma: "but if i go, there's a guarantee that you'll be here when i get back. if i don't..." i say, hating what my life has come to. i hate when brennen does this. cause me all of this worry and anxiety when i have enough already; especially when he waves my boyfriend's death in my face like a carrot leading on a bunny rabbit.
colby: "i will be fine, baby. don't worry. you and i are staying right here for the rest of the day. you're not going." he says, removing his hands from my face and holding my hands.
emma: "are you sure? because i will." i said again, making sure he's okay with a death wish. seriously, is he thinking this through?
colby: "am i sure that i don't want you going over to your ex's house, who is only going to put more nonsense in your head, so that i don't lose my life? yes, i'm positive." he says matter-of-factly, causing me to just nod and go along with it. i guess i just have to trust him on this one...