chapter 10

i knocked on the door to the bunker and
colby— the beautiful colby that i think i caught feelings for— opened it. he looked angry, but as soon as he caught my eye, his face softened and his smile brightened.
colby: "hey, you doing okay?" he sounded fragile and sympathetic.
emma: "a lot better than earlier." i smiled reassuringly.
he smiled that smile and opened the door wider so that i could walk inside. katrina got up and ran to me. i hugged her back without missing a beat.
kat: "i'm so sorry i couldn't help you. he was way stronger than me."
emma: "don't be sorry. thank you for trying."
she nodded and pulled away. she looked me in the eyes and put her hands on my cheeks, cradling my face. i winced in pain when she hit my bruise by accident.
kat: "shit, i didn't mean to do that. i'm sorry."
emma: "it's okay." i smiled reassuringly.
kat: "you're strong and i love you." she whispered.
emma: "i love you too, sis." i smiled. she smiled and walked over to the couch where i followed her and everyone gave me hugs.
colby: "the swelling is going down." he muses.
emma: "thank god. it looked like a damn balloon was in the side of my face." but it still hurts.
everyone laughed.
mike: "you're still cute as shit though." he smiled. i chuckled and saw colby roll his eyes at him. i ignored it and we all talked for a little bit. i took the time to admire colby from the corner of my eye. damn, he was fine. i saw him glance over at me, but i just sat and listened to everyone talking. my mind flitted back to the mall when colby made that comment about my shorts when we were in victoria's secret. "the shorts... they're just... really sexy... especially on you." i blushed just sitting there. he really knows how to affect someone... and they're hormones. i never wanted  sex with someone so badly until i met colby. this is ridiculous. no one should be this attached to someone after barely knowing them.
sam: "what time you want to go clubbing?"
emma: "right now. who's getting drunk with me?"
everyone cheered, but katrina just glared at me.
oh no.
kat: "oh... so that's why you want to go clubbing."
colby: "what do you mean?" he stared at me.
emma: "katrina..." i tried to stop her from saying anything further, but she continued on anyway, ignoring me.
kat: "she wants to go clubbing because she wants to get blackout drunk."
kevin: "so?" he questioned, confused.
emma: "kat, please don't..." i begged.
she ignored me. why is she turning on me right after she said she loved me?
kat: "she only gets blackout drunk when she runs away from her problems."
everyone's eyes were now on me. i put my head in my hands in frustration and embarrassment.
sam: "katrina, you didn't have to say that in front of everybody." he said softly but sternly.
kat: "why not?" confusion evident on her face. is she really going to act this way?
sam: "because you and i both know why she started drinking her problems away in the first place." he said quietly. shut up, sam! they can hear you! her eyes went wide when she remembered what i told her and sam awhile back.
kat: "emma, i'm sorry. i forgot."
no you didn't, you just decide to listen to your boyfriend over me.
emma: "don't be. but... um... i'll see you guys later."
mike: "i thought we were going clubbing?" his brows furrowed in confusion.
emma: "maybe another time." i stood up from my seat. get me out of here...
kat: "don't do what i think you're going to do..."
emma: "why not? it's just like clubbing, only by myself." i shrugged.
sam: "you're staying with us for the night." he added quickly. for christ's sake, all i want is a shot of whiskey, that's it.
everyone just sat and stared, confused, as they watched sam, kat, and i go back and forth with the argument that's about to erupt into something way bigger than what it needs to be erupted into.
emma: "i just want to go home. i won't do anything stupid, okay?"
sam: "just sleep here for tonight." he protested.
kat: "now i know why your parents were so disappointed in you." she spouted off. what?
i looked over at her. she needs to shut it. i don't want anyone in this living room hearing all of this. especially colby. if he hears this, then his opinion of me is going to change and i don't want that. we seemed to hit it off and i don't want katrina to ruin that.
sam: "katrina... don't..." his lips thinned.
kat: "don't what? tell them the real reason you're always so upset and where you actually came from?"
emma: "please don't..." i begged. please, katrina.
kat: "no... everyone needs to know who you really are, anyways." she eyed me with coldly.
everyone's eyes went to me as tears stung my eyes.
sam: "katrina, stop it. now." he said through a clenched jaw. she ignored him and proceeded to talk. backstabber.
kat: "the reason she's so upset is because the very first time she started dr-" i stopped her.
emma: "katrina! stop!"
i glanced over at colby and he had worry etched all over his face.
kat: "WHY? THIS IS ALL YOU EVER DO! YOU RUN AWAY FROM YOUR PROBLEMS AND END UP FINDING MORE AT THE BOTTOM OF A FUCKING WHISKEY BOTTLE!"
emma: "KATRINA, STOP!" we were both screaming at this point. stop! stop!
kat: "IF I WERE YOUR PARENTS, I WOULD'VE KICKED YOU OUT AT AGE 14 AS WELL!"
sam: "KATRINA STUART!" he screamed at her in shock.
kat: "YOUR PARENTS NEVER GAVE A SHIT ABOUT YOU OR ANYBODY AND YOU ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT DRUGS AND ALCOHOL WERE THE WAY TO GO!" she continued.
emma: "I'M NOT THE SAME PERSON! YOU KNOW THAT!" tears spilled out of my eyes like a waterfall. my legs felt weak, my body felt numb. i just wanted the ground to swallow me up right then and there. not to mention, everyone in the living room was just staring in shock, not having the slightest clue of what to do. this is the last thing i needed. first, my abusive ex-boyfriend slapped me across the face harder than he used to, and now my best friend is turning on me? for what? what did i do to deserve this?
kat: "THAT DOESNT CHANGE YOUR PAST!"
emma: "AND YOU WONDER WHY I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF YEARS AGO! YOU TALKING ABOUT IT IS MAKING THIS SO MUCH WORSE AND YOU KNOW IT! JUST SHUT UP! PLEASE!"
i had tears streaming my face while everyone sat in complete and utter shock. nobody knew what to do or say to either one of us. even sam was frozen until he finally realized what he needed to say. everyone was scared the open their mouths. thank god for sam to help me, though.
sam: "STOP IT! BOTH OF YOU! KATRINA, LEAVE!WE WILL TALK TOMORROW!" his face was flaming with anger.
emma: "no, let her stay. she'll probably go slut around and open her legs to some random guy like she used to do before she met you." i snarled and sobbed.
kat: "i know you fucking didn't." she scowled at me. she came up to me and she swung her fist. my instinct was to fight back, so i did. we went at it with each other and we went all in. her and i alternating being on top of one another while we both sobbed and sobbed. this wasn't healthy. it couldn't have been. we were literally fine ten minutes ago. what changed? did she get mad? did she get mad at me? she literally held my face and said "you're strong and i love you" and now this? she's never acted like this before. it's either we argue or we don't argue. we rarely ever argue and when we do, they've never been this extreme. i mean, for god's sakes, she exposed my past to the people i didn't want knowing. how much worse could the argument get? i took out all my anger and thoughts as i punched her repeatedly without stopping. the more i hit her the more i sobbed and the louder i got when i tried to take an actual breath. i soon felt a pair of strong hands on my waist and my body being pulled away from katrina. she had hit the bruise that was already on my face so that didn't help.it was throbbing like you wouldn't believe. bitch.