Chapter 16: Edible Goldfish

Gyro sat down next to Gloria on the large beach towel she had placed on the sand for them. If you're wondering, yes they did sneak back onto the island. There was no security so as long as they stayed away from the police it was chill.

The beach was hella nice. White sand, clear waters. God, it was something Gyro thought he would never see in person. It looked just like those Atlantis resort advertisements. He decided he would ask Gloria if she wanted to go scuba diving later on, dude really wanted to study the local coral. But for now he put on some Banana Republic shades over his normal glasses and laid back, putting his arms behind his head.

"God, this is nice. This is all I've wanted for months. I don't think it was that much to ask for."

Gloria nodded. "Yeah, but it sucks I ran out of joints." She looked at the town that was next to the beach. "Yo, You think they got dealers in there?"

When Gyro didn't answer she continued.

"Meh, whatever. I'll just find some good old rum or a margarita. That's what people have on beaches, right?" It was an actual question but then another idea popped in her head. "OOOH! Or a root beer, but with actual beer in there, you know what I mean?"

"Yeah...can we talk about that?"

"Of course! Listen, buddy, root beer with actual beer is pretty common and we all know that beer is disgusting, add some sweet soda stuff in there and..." She did a chef's kiss gesture. "It's a bit harder to get drunk but I'll buy a 6 pack. Maybe 2 packs. I'll give you a few, maybe. Depends on how wild I'm feeling." She stretched out, getting ready to head out and do some shopping. "It's an American thing but they gotta have it somewhere."

"No." Gyro sadly came to the conclusion he needed to sit up to continue the conversation. His relaxation on the beach would have to be cut short for a few minutes. "I mean can we talk about you... getting drunk and high all the time? You never did that before and ever since the cruise you've just been going wild, no offense of course." He took off his shades so she could see his eyes. She still couldn't because the sun was reflecting off of them, making her squint, but it was the thought that counted. "I know it's not my business but you kind of got a problem. Is something going on?"

Gloria turned to look at him "Hey man, I'm on vacation. Sure I'm drinking and smoking a tad bit more than normal but that's just how vacation goes right? Why? Do you think there's something going on?"

"I mean...yeah?" Gyro realized he fucked up but he had to keep going with it. "It's not healthy, Gloria. Does it have something to do with..." He just stopped there. Homie was gonna get his ass beat probably.

She sighed and turned to look straight ahead at the ocean. "Well, yeah? So much shit has happened not only years ago, but in the past week as well! With... Axel and his people from New York. I really thought I dodged a bullet there but no. They not only found me, but they weren't going to hesitate on killing all of you too." She continued "I know it's not the best way to cope but it helps me relax and take my mind off of it for a little while. God I dunno..." She trailed off, not knowing what else to say about it. He already knows everything about her past so it's not like it should be that much of a surprise to him.

He laid a hand on her knee. Gyro had done it time and time again, but he always got stuck when it came to comforting people, specifically Gloria. He could barely comfort himself, if it all. "Well... how about we just enjoy the beach for a while, yeah?" He was no therapist and decided that logically it would be best to distract her for now. Have her enjoy something else. "The view is nice, isn't it?"

"What? You're going to literally ask me if I have an alcohol and substance abuse problem and change the subject?" Her voice was getting more serious and stern, something Gyro was all too familiar with.