Chapter 38: The Endangerment

"So, uhhhhhh, you want coffee or some shit?"

Gyro's father, who Gloria learned who's name was Jim, asked while sitting across from her with a black coffee of his own.

They were sitting at a small foldable wooden table. Most of his furniture was foldable because not only was he broke, from what Gloria assumed was because of prostitutes and alcohol, but his house was just shit in general. There was trash and unidentifiable stains everywhere that complimented the peeling wallpaper. And to be honest, she saw a few roaches the night prior and wouldn't be surprised if there was an infestation.

She had no idea why Gyro accepted his dad's offer. She knew he wanted to attempt to reconnect but the way he spoke to them at first was an immediate red flag, yet she didn't have the heart to tell Gyro it was a bad idea. She figured maybe she was wrong. So far it looked like she wasn't.

"Uh, sure. Thanks."

He nodded and got up from his chair to pour her a mug. "...You want any milk or sugar?"

"Sugar is fine."

"Alright." He gave her a Jimmy Buffett mug, looked like he was a fan himself, and passed over the container that held the sugar with a tiny antique spoon in it. That was the end of the conversation for a while, the only sound being the small television on the counter, that was very poor quality with horrible audio.

Gloria really regretted coming down now. All she wanted was to grab a beer and sneak back into the 'man cave' that was being used as a guest room. Aka they were sleeping on a fold out couch.

Jim cleared his throat. "How'd you meet him?"

"I was looking for an internship and he gave me a job."

"Dating your boss?" Jim took a swig of his coffee like it was alcohol. The fact he was acting all high and mighty like he had morals only pissed Gloria off more. "What do you do? I'm guessing you guys are in the science industry?"

"Yeah Gyro and I work for Scrooge McDuck. We basically just build him shit."

"Huh. Scrooge McDuck." Jim didn't sound amused or impressed, but he painfully kept the conversation going. "What brought you to Savannah?"

"Ummm we are kind of on this long road trip on the way back to California. We made a detour."

Jim had finished his coffee so now he was just tapping the side of his mug, debating if he should get up to grab another. "You guys live in California?"

"Yeah. Duckburg, California."

"That's an expensive city."

"Yep and there's a drought every year."

"I moved down here to Savannah as a sort of getaway after my wife died. I really like it so far." He decided to grab himself a cup of coffee while he talked about his wife dying. He didn't even seem fazed. "It was the perfect oppurtunity for me to finally move after years of her refusing. It's real pretty down here, my only complaint is the local art students. They ruin a lot of it."

Gloria stopped drinking her coffee a long time ago. That shit wasn't any good. She glared at him "Wait, so Gyro's mom passed away? When? Does he know?!" Gloria felt like the answer was going to be 'no' but she had to hear it from Jim.

Jim shrugged. "Died a few years back from lung cancer." He sat back down with his new cup of joe. "Nah. He doesn't know. Never called and asked how she was doing."

"Well you could've been the one to reach out and tell him." She spat.

That didn't sit well with him, the way Gloria spoke. He glared back. "This is my house, babe. Watch your attitude. My family, my business."